1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pool of oil in throttle body

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Banksy, Jan 3, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Banksy

Banksy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    So I just did the MAF on my 08 with 260k on it

Throttle body had a noticeable amount of oil in it before I cleaned it out

PCV valve?

Is this where my oil consumption is coming from?

Uses like a half to 1 qt every 5k

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The pcv is the likely source of the pooled oil- it seems to be typical for most Prii (Priae? Priarum? Priuseseses?) so it would also be SOME of your oil use. Some would be piston rings and valve guides. ALL cars use some oil. For most conventional gas engine cars I see 1qt/3000 miles on average.

1qt/5000 is really not bad at all. Some car manufacturers tell their customers that 1qt/1000 (or less!) is "normal". So keep the level full and just drive it.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Banksy

Banksy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

Would a catch can do anything?

Also can you recommend a PCV valve to buy?

I see a lot of different ones on Amazon that all look the same

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Stick with the Toyota PCV valve; they’re all tuned different and the OEM valve is optimum.

Replacement probably will not change things, but with 260k it’s a good idea anyway.

5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've replaced PCV valves that I expected to be really bad, but they weren't and it was a waste of time. Back in the day / decades ago PCV valves were replaced often and cars back in those days had legit problems with them, but I've yet to see a single instance of a failed PCV valve on a Prius on here. If someone has a link to one that failed I'd like to read it.

And yes an oil catch can will address oil in the bottom of your intake manifold. This oil puddle is normal, I've not seen a Prius without at least a little bit of it and it has nothing to do with the PCV valve. But if someone wants to prove otherwise, I'm interested in reviewing your evidence.

6. Banksy

Banksy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE

Link?

Just ordered one with some good reviews off Amazon because of quick shipping

7. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "Some car manufacturers" includes the manufacturers of every car I have ever owned, 5 brands over more than four decades. That includes my first Subaru, but for my second one, a 2014, Subaru finally raised the "normal" bar to 1 qt in 1200 miles.

Of course, by "normal" they mean the limit at which it becomes a new car warranty issue, not the typical numbers seen by typical drivers.

PriusCamper likes this.
  8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Lol... PCV valve reviews... Hilarious...

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Toyota's technician training course materials are included in any TIS subscription.

pcv1.png

pcv2.png

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pool of oil was there when I bought my 07 brand new. Don’t bother cleaning it out it will be quickly replaced.
    Normal.

11. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    A high quality catch can with a sintered bronze filter will keep some of the oil out of the intake but you need a good one. Perhaps in the $225 range. A recent video by a dealer hybrid mechanic acknowledges the problem through the gen3s. His recommendation is to avoid overfilling by leaving room on the dipstick when cold and then check hot and top off. Per Toyota instructions. Others believe its a function of the Atkinson cycle's late intake closings.

5E507F6C-75C6-4C45-92EF-A4F2622A1467.jpeg

#11 rjparker, Jan 4, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Link? Toyota dealership, either local to you are online. They’re under $10 fer chrisakes lol.

I’m guessing that “good reviews and fast shipping” is a generic, with all that entails.

Save the old one.

PriusCamper likes this.
  13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

If you check the oil when its hot that means the VVT drive on the end of the intake cam is still holding alot of oil so it will show a little low on the dipstick. So your actually going to over fill it if your checking it hot. Checking it hot means very little time for all the oil to drain back in the pan for a true reading so if your trying to avoid overfilling the oil this is the last thing you want to do. The only true way of checking its total oil volume is the next day on a cold engine before you start it.

I have owned my G2 for 13 years I can tell you everything there is to know about it's oil behavior. Because I have watched it carefully for 13 years. That observation of the oil level and never ever letting it get even slightly low has paid off I have probably one of the few aged G2's out there that doesn't eat any oil whatsoever at 160,000 miles.

And as far as the pool of oil at the bottom of the intake its always there and it does not bother the engine at all. Its definitely because of the Atkinson cycle just like the big plenum in the bottom of the intake to absorb its blow back from its delaying the closing of the intake valves
    which is key to the Atkinson system.

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Testing this easy: check the dipstick maybe a minute after shut down, then again the next morning.