1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poor acceleration, high engine speed when battery is low.

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by AntronX, Nov 22, 2015.

1. AntronX

AntronX New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    Hello, Prius newb here.

Test drove 2015 Prius C at local dealer. When accelerating up to 25mph around parking lot and then coasting, I noticed that engine revs quite high while accelerating and does not immediately slow down when coasting. It feels similar to when manual-transmission car is left in first gear. Immediate feeling is that engine is working too hard compared to automatic-transmission car. The battery had 2 bars and EV mode was unavailable due to low battery. Is it possible that EV assist was disabled due to low battery?

When trying to merge from entrance ramp onto the highway, I accelerated from 40 to 60 mph, but the car felt very underpowered compared to my 4 cylinder stock 100 HP Honda Civic. Is this normal or the lack of torque was due to low battery? When the battery is full, does the engine immediately return to idle rpm when no longer accelerating? Are there any settings, hacks or mods to control engine behavior?

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it was.

Low battery would also limit torque on the rest of your drive, but not having a 'c', I cannot say how much of the problem was due to that.

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Don't expect a lot of performance out of a Prius C. They are mainly used for easy driving commutes, giving you high mpg and not high performance.

4. AntronX

AntronX New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for your replies. I always liked hybrid system in the Prius - planetary gear drive (no CVT belts), no accessory belts, no starter, electric HVAC. Now that my current car is showing it's age, I am considering Prius C. But first test drive left me with slightly negative impression.

I hoped it would at least match my old Civic, that's why I wondered if lack of performance could have been due to low battery charge. I had a chance to drive Ford Cmax hybrid and it felt much more powerful, and EV mode worked on the highway. But that car is too big for my taste.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you want a Prius with more power, buy the bigger Prius with the 1.8 liter engine. The Prius C is not for you if you didn't like it during your test drive.

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I can't speak to your Civic since I don't know its year but the Prius c made the list at Fast Cars | Best & Worst Acceleration - Consumer Reports.

If you want better acceleration, go for the (regular) Prius liftback. For much better acceleration, go w/a Camry Hybrid aka HyCam.

7. roamerr

roamerr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Drive the C again but either drive it long enough for the battery to be normal (most bars show) or start out in one that is already charged. They aren't that slow except when hybrid battery is at 3 bars or less. My gen 2 Prius does the same thing if the battery is low. Revs like heck but moves slow - feels like it's struggling. It's rare but happens.

Tyler S, fuzzy1 and jdonalds like this.
  8. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    A new car on the dealers lot with a low hybrid battery, hmmm... I'd get one with a fresh battery, same price;)

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! the power limit is something you have to decide you can live with. decide before you buy, not after. nothing worse than legitimate buyers remorse. wise move coming here beforehand. all the best!(y)

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The hybrid battery level will be mostly a function of the previous test drive. It can be changed, up or down, with just a few more miles on the road.

11. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    it is normal that when the hybrid battery is low, the system will want to just use the engine more instead of draining the hybrid battery

and it is probably normal that hybrids on dealer lots have drained hybrid batteries, since they're left idling or probably moved once in a while in short distances or low(ev) speed situations most of the time

so as long as you don't leave your hybrid battery at the last 3 to 2 bars when you park it for the day...and jump in it the next time around, thinking you can just leadfeet it's 99hp, you should be fine

Tyler S likes this.
  12. AntronX

AntronX New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    Thanks for all your comments. I will make sure to test drive with full battery next time. I would even prefer to rent one for one day, to get a better feel of it.

#12 AntronX, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    Tyler S likes this.
  13. TheTimob

TheTimob Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    A prius C on low battery makes crazy sounds. The engine revs up trying to charge, and even revs when you're coasting. It can't do this when you have your foot on the brake, because regen braking can potentially recover even more power, and with no burning of fuel to do it - so the engine slows down when you push the brake pedal.

The gas engine has 71HP, and when it's charging at the same time, it's delivering even less to the road. The 99 HP only comes into play when the battery can help too.

Luckily in practice this rarely happens. You're likely to encounter it after the car is serviced (sitting around with ignition on for over an hour) or if you sit in traffic for a LONG time.

It also acts crazy when the battery is too full. The brake pedal travels farther and feels different. It'll use EV mode above the middle of the Hybrid System Indicator, and it'll use electric assist all the time and makes the gas engine rev lower than normal. For the most part - you'll only encounter this situation if you go down a HUGE mountain or hill and brake the whole way.

Another drive-train oddity is if you're driving around in the city a lot in mostly electric mode, it's possible for the coolant to loose so much heat that the car will go into warm-up mode again to get the coolant back above 100°. This is especially true if you're running the heat - the coolant looses it even faster, and the car will try to get the coolant to like 130° before shutting off again.

These are abnormal situations though - the car really does do a great job keeping the battery in the middle of those two extremes.

ThilinaK and Lucifer like this.
  14. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, well, my point is...why buy a car with a hybrid battery that hasn't been used in a year and may well never recover, thinking of East coast US cities with streets paved with cobblestones from ships that used them for ballast, the new "bricks" may well be hybrid and electric cars that bricked.

15. AQUA-K

AQUA-K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Aqua
    There is a huge performance difference when you switch off ECO mode, give it a try too. However you might not get a great MPG rating if you drive with ECO mode off most of the time.

Tyler S likes this.
  16. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    I've actually found that my Prius C has a decent enough amount of power for freeway merges, etc. - but you have to basically floor it to let the car know that you really want to go. And when you do the engine revs up like crazy to let you know that it's doing the best it can.

If you're used to a car with a lot of excess power that you never have to use then it's a different driving experience. I have a Plymouth Voyager with a V6 that I don't think I've ever had to floor in my life. The Prius C can accelerate just as well as it does in my normal driving, but I've really got to be aggressive with the gas pedal to match it. And I have to grin and bear the whine of the engine while it does it. Fortunately it's pretty rare for me to need to push it that hard.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed, but it's not enough for everybody. best to know before buying.

18. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Absolutely. My point is don't just push the gas pedal 3/4 of the way down because that's what you're used to doing and give up. Mash it all the way, make that baby play! And then decide.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent point!(y)

20. Tyler S

Tyler S Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Agreed!! I HATE eco mode. Best case scenario you may get a modest bump in MPG but at the cost of a major decrease in power. Even if the power decrease isn't major on paper, you can definitely feel it. Most of the time I am able to hit the same mpg in regular mode as I would in eco mode anyway.