1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poor Gas Mileage, HV battery drain, Whirring noise, Sluggish acceleration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AshokTexas, May 10, 2022.

1. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is not related to those two codes.

Do you have halogen or HID headlights?

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  3. AshokTexas

AshokTexas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Did some troubleshooting, my brake power supply is good. Now have to gain access to the skid control unit, which I am sure is a pain.

4. AshokTexas

AshokTexas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    From the Repair manual to remove the skid control unit, I got to do a good bit of surgery to interior dash & remove steering column (I will try to avoid removing steering column if I can). It has three nuts that are holding it and one of them is on top going in to the firewall which I could not even get a wrench to nor see it, I could feel it with one finger. The DTC instructions call for troubleshooting while the wires are plugged into the skid control unit. I have to say not definitely designed for making service easy if it is this hard to get to it. Rather have the part with me so if it does end up being bad I can replace it quickly with out having to repeat the procedure twice.

5. AshokTexas

AshokTexas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To report, Do not have to take steering unit out to take Skid control unit out, but u do have to take out the all of the dash skins out to get to the top bolt.I am small enough that I could reach the top bolt from top of the dash.

bisco likes this.
  6. highmilesgarage

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    before you do change major parts make sure that your 12v is working properly even when the car is running. I have the same symptoms as yours in addition to a dim dashboard. The previous owner let the Prius sit for 6 months and it killed the 12v battery. Giving it a jump will start the car and then weird things happen and one of them is the abs buzzing frequently, the engine also misfires because of low voltage (in addition to actual misfire) In order to isolate the problematic battery, I replaced it with a 12 volt standard lead acid from my other car and just temporarily connect it with jumpstarter cables. It made a lot of difference and caused the C1421 code to disappear and abs buzz.

7. AshokTexas

AshokTexas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yea, I went through the whole procedure of troubleshooting starting from battery.

8. AshokTexas

AshokTexas Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It seems changing ECU (or changing ABS actuator) as made my car HV power train to work better. When u have ECU related codes HV system does not regenerate on braking. Now after fixing my ABS stuff car is definitely engaging HV sooner for a lack of better explanation, in the past during acceleration engine was revving, now it is not revving as much as I guess HV system is able to take more load and same with braking.

bisco likes this.