1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poor heat management of MG1 / MG2

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by ThatDudeOrion, May 9, 2019.

1. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was comparing notes with the orion dude, he nor I have declared this to be an issue or problem yet :) however I can help anyone here, I’ll try to find ways :)

2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If there was a penny for every time a moment like this comes up on PC threads here, I’d be a millionaire.

ThatDudeOrion likes this.
  3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    To be different from everyone else?! :cool:

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here is a look at my v wagon's mg1 mg2 temps today. Ambient was 102f. The high for mg1 was 201.2 f. Does anyone know what the vehicle's alarm limits are set at?

8D9FAC2E-3263-4B91-99CE-85A05F3454C2.jpeg

Attached Files:

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder whether it really has alarm limits, per se, for the MG temperatures. The trouble codes P0A2B and P0A2E (for MG2) and P0A37 and P0A3A, for MG1, seem to be the closest things to temperature alarms, but they work a little differently. They are set if the MG temperature doesn't increase in conditions where the ECU expects it to, or doesn't decrease when the ECU expects it to, or shows an unexpected sudden change.

This suggests they are doing something a little more clever. Ohm's law is simple enough to program into an ECU, so when the ECU is deciding how much current to send through one of the MGs, it can just do the math and predict what temperature change will result. It can look at the present temperature and just decide accordingly how hard to push things. Looks like the only time it complains is when the temperature increase or decrease doesn't follow the prediction (which would indicate something like a shorted winding in the MG, or a dodgy thermistor connection).

6. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I don't have info for your year, but Gen 2 manual mentions normal transaxle temp is 122f-176f. But that may just be fluid temp, not actual windings.