1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poor Man's "Simonize" Glass Coat....................................

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mike500, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not a fan of overpriced dealer installed options, but this presentation on the History Channel intrigued me.

I was NOT offered any paint protection by my dealer.

I got my Prius"v" in early Februrary. It has less than 4k on it.

I found out that you can't buy the stuff to put it on, yourself, although it is very easy. It sells for $500 to $700, when sold and applied at the dealer.

From one posting in a discussion board by a dealer, $300 of the cost (to the dealer) is for the 7 year insurance policy.

I did find the stuff on eBay;

glasscoat | eBay

I bought two bottles. This stuff was so easy to put on. No heavy buffing was needed. It just required wiping off the residue.

I was surprised to find out how much work it was to prepare the car. The worst stuff came from plant pollen that stuck in many spots and had to be clay barred.

I hope this Glasscoat stuff works as good as claimed. I paid about $100 for two bottles.

tanasit likes this.
  2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It's highly doubtful that it performs any better than the other high end polymer coatings. I couldn't find any conformation that it's anything special on the detailing forums. Other than Simonizes widely spammed infomercial there isn't much to indicate that it's anything special anyplace on the Intertubes. It's been out over a year, so some of the experimenters on the detailing forums would be raving about it by now if it was a breakthrough.

The work you did to prepare your car is something that should be done before applying any sealant or wax.

You probably got as good a job as you would have with $20 -$30 worth of the established sealants.

That's a bummer, but at least you prepped your car right and have a good sealant on it, that puts you ahead of most people.

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I did notice that it was very very easy to apply, and there was no white haze to buff away like other polishes.

If it last a couple of yers, I'm happy. Nothing, even that Temporary paint that Dupli-color makes will stick to it. Masking tape curls up at the edges and slides right off.

I've got to say that it's different than anything that I've ever used. It is NOT a wax.

I'm almost sure that it is protected by a TRADE SECRET. As a consumer, you're not even supposed to be able to buy it and put it on yourself.

Here's a link to technical douentation on this type of product;

http://ppgamercoatus.ppgpmc.com/psx/docs/presentation_polysiloxanes.pdf

It's not the "snake oil" that the sceptics think it is.

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The rest of you guys don't know what you're missing.

The coating is as slick as and is a form of silicone.

Bird poop, tree sap and bugs just wipe off with a went paper towel leaving no residue.

5. JACoH

JACoH Enjoying the mileage

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Mike, you haven't steered me wrong yet. I got a bottle and spending today applying it. I usually wax every season and go over the car with Meguiar's detailer almost weekly. So, interesting to see what this stuff does or doesn't. Looks almost too easy, surprised at the size of the bottle to do an entire car.

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah,

I too was surprised on how easy it was. I always believed in no pain; no gain.

I believe that the coating is on the molecular level. So, a little bit really goes a long way.

Polysiloxane coating have become a really proven technology in the last 5 years. Paying $50-$60 is much better than the $500 plus at dealers.

I am almost sure that other manufacturers are in a rush to work on similar products. Eventually, it may obselete waxes, as pocket calculators did to the sliderule.

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I know it's not the same stuff, but it works at molecular thicknesses... I can coat my Corvette with 1 oz of Zaino so the small amount you need to use isn't surprising. Let us know how it's working every 6 months or so.

8. Kensterfly

Kensterfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Just reading through some old threads and wondering how this product is holding up for the OP.

9. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Water still beads. It still works just fine. The nice thing s that I still have some left to "retreat," if I want to. However, I hadn't needed to.

10. Kensterfly

Kensterfly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for the update, Mike.

Mike500 likes this.
  11. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You're very welcome.

12. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    After chancing on this thread, I researched the Internet and got the Opti-Glass product, clay-barred both the PiP and our (then)new Ford Fusion Energi and applied Opti-Glass back in June to all their glass surfaces EXCEPT the rear left passenger windows, just to have a control surface on each car in this experiment. Then, liking what I saw in terms of performance, I got Opticoat 2.0 and in late July clay-barred the PiP and Opticoated its painted parts. Note: the Ford Fusion had something similar applied @ an autobody shop immediately after our purchase - part of the "fine art of the deal" at a reduced cost @ the dealer's

13. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    (cont. previous post - some software hiccup)

..Anyway, we parked the PiP and took the Fusion on a cross-country trip almost all of August - just got back. BLUF: the OptiGlass is very very very very worth it, especially when driving through Nebraska and South Dakota in high Summer when every one of the billions of bugs out on the Prairie tries to do a carrier landing @ high speed on your windshield. Most make it - once.

14. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    (cont. previous post - same software hiccup)

OptiCoat 2.0 on the PiP did keep it shiny and "slicky" as it sat there on the driveway in the hot Virginia sun for more than three weeks. All it took was a water spray and all the dust etc. washed off under water's gentle pressure.

Just like other some posters here, I clay-barred the bejesus out of the optical surfaces before putting on OptiGlass, and ditto on the PiP's painted surfaces before putting on OptiCoat 2.0. Frankly, the stuff goes on so easily that said clay-barring, especially on the year+ old paint of the PiP, took 80% of the prep & application time.

So far, I recommend both products without reservation. For a measly sum AND some serious weekend sweat equity, these products seem to give good, functional protection and make the car(s) sparkle by their seeming selves.

15. DadofHedgehog

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ...many software posting glitches tonight @ PriusC