1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poor MPG, dealer said to change bearing

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Korozive, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Korozive

Korozive Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for all your advice, I really appreciate.

I will probably change the battery before christmas just to be sure. Doesn't look difficult and/or long.

With the aux. battery unplugged, will I have any problem after beside setting the clock ? Will I have a check engine , radio password to enter or alarm going like vw ?

2. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    yeah that's battery.

Unlikely, but it might if battery shorts out completely. And it is cold enough it would be hard to overheat inverter.

3. Kushuk

Kushuk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    FWIW: at 143k miles, after changing both rear wheel bearings with NSK KH30040 from rockauto (verified authenticity with WBA application), I'm seeing noticeably improved fuel economy, around 3 mpg +/- (with the second half of the same tank of gas as before), which is good because the loss was unaccounted for over the past few months. I changed them after a 16-hour driving day that resulted in the new sound of a small airplane/motorcycle/helicopter behind me. Cost was under $300, including the pair of bolts/washers/nuts I used to pull the bearings (btw, I had to double up the washers).