1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poor visibility of rear windows when there are backseat passengers?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by VicVicVic, Mar 30, 2012.

1. VicVicVic

VicVicVic Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Poor visibility of rear windows when there are backseat passengers and due to the headrests?

I hope you are doing well.

When my girlfriend was test driving the Prius C and I sat behind the driver's seat, my girlfriend said that I was blocking the rear window quite a bit (I'm only around 5'6"). Also, the backseat headrests seem to block the rear window view, as well. The salesperson in the car with us actually agreed.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? It seems like the rear window doesn't give the driver a lot to work with, and parallel parking, as well as backing up with items behind the car, may be difficult.

Any thoughts? Thank you,
    Vic

2. Koolfreak

Koolfreak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Same thing here. Rear visibility is mediocre. I will use sides mirrors only when reversing...

3. ProximalSuns

ProximalSuns Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Re: Poor visibility of rear windows when there are backseat passengers and due to the headrests?

Prius C needs backup sensors if no camera. I was looking at C and III side by side with intent to get C. The lack of backup proximity alarms was a big issue. You could look for them in the "Shop" above or at JuicedHybrid. I see somefolks have installed a camera that uses a picture in the rear view mirror that is independent of the Prius.

4. formula

formula Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I will install a aftermarket backup sensor soon. :)

there are some wireless Kit, very easy to install.

5. Hepotter

Hepotter New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prius II, 2012, has rear head rests that fold forward when not in use. You lift up on the head rest and there's a button that releases them to fall forward. On a C, that might help a bit.

My 2005 and 2012 have the same rear view problem. It would help if Toyota had managed to get a one piece rear window, but that doesn't seem to be on their agenda.

Be aware the backup camera on the rear view mirror is so tiny as to be almost useless. I have one on my 2010 Tacoma. I wouldn't waste money on it. I'm still trying to find a backup camera that will use my display console, but with the model II, I don't believe it has any audio/vidio inputs. I may be wrong.....please let me be wrong!:(

6. arlotone

arlotone New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Re: Poor visibility of rear windows when there are backseat passengers and due to the headrests?

I definitely get a narrower field of view out the back window than I did in my previous car. If I don't have passengers I fold down one or both seats and that helps a lot. IIRC, only the middle headrest folds down.

This hasn't been a problem while parallel parking, it just feels kind of constrained while driving in general. I expect I'll get used to it. While a narrower view, I can see in every direction that I need to see.

7. cornflakes

cornflakes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I agree, I'm discovering the same issue. For the folks that are going to be installing backup sensors or cameras, would you please do folks like me a favor and document your installation process so we can all learn how to do it ourselves? I'm not very good with car upgrades and repairs (I'm very patient though)!

8. lindt

lindt New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I took down my backseat head rest and probably will just keep it that way.