1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Poor Voice Recognition with Navigation System

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by prius-yes-dubya-no, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarge @ Jul 25 2007, 01:54 PM) [snapback]484955[/snapback]</div>
    Can I assume you're running on the 5th Gen nav system? (the one shown on the Toyota Camry website on toyota.ca)

I heard some names are TTS, but most of the time, it isn't.

2. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 25 2007, 09:49 PM) [snapback]485167[/snapback]</div>
    Yep... I have an 06, which is the 5th gen. Currently using data v5.1, but I have a 6.1 disc on the way. :p

Essentially, whenever you use the "Address" voice command to enter a destination, the nav echoes back the province/state, city, and streetname to you. But this seems to be the only time the system ever pronounces the streetnames.

So why, if the car has the technology to do so, does it not pronounce the streetname when a turn is approaching? I can only assume it is because the TTS does not sound as 'natural' as the canned voice directions...

3. jthomas119

jthomas119 New Member

I have a new 2008 and unfortunately I am experiencing the same problems with voice recognition as other posters. My suspicion is that it has something to do with the microphone. If I use the bluetooth cellphone to call an answering machine and speak in a normal voice, when I listen to the message, I can barely hear it.

The voice recognition system seems to work better (but not at all perfect) if I talk very loudly but not too loudly.

But it has given me hours of amusement playing with it. After all, I did get the upgrade package just to have something to play with.

Does anyone know if there is a voice recognition "teach" system that one can access via some undocumented hack.

John

4. vrsola

vrsola New Member

I use a very expensive voice recognition system for dictating medical reports. We under went training for few days. The program is also self learning. Can be used my multiple users but each one needs to be trained.

The microphone sensitivity ---recalibrated once in every 6 months.
    The reports undergo editing by transcriber.
    Even in spite of all this sophistication it does mistakes.
    If I dictate “John is coughing†it types as†John is coffin.â€

When I placed an order for 08 touring Prius, I gave a choice of package 3 or 5. for the dealer
    Universal voice recognition for all accents is really difficult. But it is getting better.

5. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jthomas119 @ Sep 10 2007, 12:34 AM) [snapback]509882[/snapback]</div>
    I believe if you get into the Service menu, there are a couple tools for adjusting the microphone. There are some threads on how to do this, if the same as 06/07, hit Display then press TopLeft/Bottom left three times.

Also, if you go into the phonebook and edit an entry and go to the second page to record a voice tag, I believe it echoes back the voice tag to you (IIRC... I rarely use voice for phone dialing). This can be a bit of a hint as to how it sounds to the car.

6. slair

slair Ubër Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jul 24 2007, 01:22 PM) [snapback]484193[/snapback]</div>

oh God, not you again.

The best way I've found to talk to the Prius is very articulate (spelling?) and slow. Almost like you are very angry and have had to repeate yourself multiple times. If I wanted to say 77 degrees, I would pronounce it more like "sssseventeey, sssseven... Dagreeeees" Mono tone and clear. Ever since I've been doing that, it has rarely failed to recgonize me. Then once you get better at the articulation and, more or less, train yourself to the prius (insted of the other way) you'll find out how to talk quicker and easier to it without failure. Then soon enough you wont even have to think about how to say commands, you'll just know it and do it correctly for the prius.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Johnson @ Sep 9 2007, 11:18 PM) [snapback]509914[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm.. in the medical world, that can be a problem :lol:

8. O-Mel-Prius

O-Mel-Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jul 25 2007, 09:41 AM) [snapback]484622[/snapback]</div>
    I just purchased my Prius package 5, and after all my researching I decided I want a Prius with all the high tech options (Nav and bluetooth). In addition to researching the Prius and other hybrid cars, I also did some research on portable GPS systems including polled friends about theirs. The prices of the portables are lower, but the Prius built in screen, was 4 times larger (not to mention the build in microphone for my cell phone), having these build in and ready go was a big plus, and as Kevin posted, less likely to be stolen.

If you have a Prius without Nav, is there a way to be able to plug it into the Prius built in screen?

"Tideland Prius" why aren't you laughing? Will you tell us, what you see as the differences between the TomTom and Toyota Nav system.

I have not even tried to using the Voice Recognition with Navigation System yet, not sure I will bother with the Text-to-Speech recognition after reading all these posts and having a Boston accent (well, at least not for entering destinations addresses). I'm so glad I found this list, their a lot of knowledgeable people who are very helpful, Thanks.

9. O-Mel-Prius

O-Mel-Prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ Jul 25 2007, 09:41 AM) [snapback]484622[/snapback]</div>
    I just purchased my Prius package 5, and after all my researching I decided I want a Prius with all the high tech options (Nav and bluetooth). In addition to researching the Prius and other hybrid cars, I also did some research on portable GPS systems including polled friends about theirs. The prices of the portables are lower, but the Prius built in screen, was 4 times larger (not to mention the build in microphone for my cell phone), having these build in and ready go was a big plus, and as Kevin posted, less likely to be stolen.

If you have a Prius without Nav, is there a way to be able to plug it into the Prius built in screen?

"Tideland Prius" why aren't you laughing? Will you tell us, what you see as the differences between the TomTom and Toyota Nav system.

I have not even tried to using the Voice Recognition with Navigation System yet, not sure I will bother with the Text-to-Speech recognition after reading all these posts and having a Boston accent (well, at least not for entering destinations addresses). I'm so glad I found this list, their a lot of knowledgeable people who are very helpful, Thanks.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mel in Mass @ Sep 12 2007, 03:11 PM) [snapback]511579[/snapback]</div>
    That's because I don't have a Toyota nav system (yet). We're planning to get one for the TCH so that we can compare (and trust me, the built-in feature is well worth the value esp. after my bro and dad both left my TT on the windshield on separate occasions. Thank goodness I was with them to remind them to remove it).

I like my TT unit because it can be modified :p

Right now, I have games (snakes, tetris, pipe dream, chess and this picture puzzle), mp3 capability (not needed really since I have the DICE kit) and video capability (beats paying US$300 for a controller that only works in the Prius. Yeah 7" is nice but watching a movie or tv clip anywhere other than in the car is priceless... just like a video iPod but with a bigger screen at 3.5").

I also have TripMaster which can track my vehicle (if I choose to ask it to track) which then can be saved in various formats (like GE) and then I can upload it and send it to someone else if they want to know the route I took to get to some camp site or what have you. It can record speed, altitude, distance. (Good if you have a kid and want to track his/her speed lol).

There's also a "Reverse Itinerary" application that I can use to reverse the itinerary I created to backtrack (I suppose it's similar to the "Record Route" on the Toyota system)

The only downside is the 2 hour battery life which is really really short. Garmins give you 5 hours and the more expensive TT units too have 5 hour battery life.

Anyway, with regards to the nav unit, you'll have to ask me again (in case I forget and I probably will) in a few months.

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mel in Mass @ Sep 12 2007, 03:11 PM) [snapback]511579[/snapback]</div>
    That's because I don't have a Toyota nav system (yet). We're planning to get one for the TCH so that we can compare (and trust me, the built-in feature is well worth the value esp. after my bro and dad both left my TT on the windshield on separate occasions. Thank goodness I was with them to remind them to remove it).

I like my TT unit because it can be modified :p

Right now, I have games (snakes, tetris, pipe dream, chess and this picture puzzle), mp3 capability (not needed really since I have the DICE kit) and video capability (beats paying US$300 for a controller that only works in the Prius. Yeah 7" is nice but watching a movie or tv clip anywhere other than in the car is priceless... just like a video iPod but with a bigger screen at 3.5").

I also have TripMaster which can track my vehicle (if I choose to ask it to track) which then can be saved in various formats (like GE) and then I can upload it and send it to someone else if they want to know the route I took to get to some camp site or what have you. It can record speed, altitude, distance. (Good if you have a kid and want to track his/her speed lol).

There's also a "Reverse Itinerary" application that I can use to reverse the itinerary I created to backtrack (I suppose it's similar to the "Record Route" on the Toyota system)

The only downside is the 2 hour battery life which is really really short. Garmins give you 5 hours and the more expensive TT units too have 5 hour battery life.

Anyway, with regards to the nav unit, you'll have to ask me again (in case I forget and I probably will) in a few months.