1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pop Quiz -- Horrible MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Bill Merchant, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey everybody! Not too long ago I had some incredibly bad fuel economy. I love my Silver Cloud and usually get close to 100 MPG over this stretch of road, but a particular set of circumstances conspired to make me think I was driving a Hummer! LOL :D

Can you guess the circumstances? It was truly a bizarre experience to see over half an hour with fuel economy under 25 MPG, probably closer to 15 MPG. As a hint, there was nothing wrong with my car and I'm getting about 45 MPG average now.

Give me your speculation. In a little while I'll describe how I got this incredible picture. :rolleyes:

[attachmentid=2548]

2. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I guess you were driving up I-84 (the Columbia Gorge) into a strong head wind where you usually have a strong tail wind. What puzzles me, though is that you still had a 40.2 mpg average allowing for the poor 30 minute average.

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow Bill,

That looks about as bad as our family trip up to Breckenridge, CO. 2.5 hours of stop and go traffic. We covered about 10 miles during that time. I've never seen such a pathetic consumption screen. Most of the bars were below 15 MPG. The OAT was 19 deg F. So I'm guessing you were caught up in a traffic snarl.

4. EricGo

EricGo New Member

hmmm.

Lots of petrol used, or a short distance traversed.

I opt for the latter: you were caught in traffic, but had the heater going strong enough to turn the ICE on.

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Read my first post closely, there are a couple of clues...

6. ckbarnard

ckbarnard New Member

Well, let's see. Since you normally get 100MPG on this stretch, that suggests to me it is downhill. I'd guess that on this occasion, it was particularly cold (indeed, your display shows 34 degrees). How about this: On this occasion, you were going very slow due to road work or an accident; there was a cold and strong head wind; you had your heater on high; and you inadvertently were driving in "B". How's that?

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    but it made him think he was driving a hummer lol.

you slapped on 24" tyres, jacked up Silver Cloud and forced the engine to run continuously :D haha.

hmm... I'm serious about the last bit though. maybe throw in some LA-style driving.

8. jeneric

jeneric New Member

25km/gal = 45m/gal? Imperial Gallons? Liters?

You somehow got the MFD in some kind of demo mode?

Someone pasted that picture on your MFD?

9. zapranoth

zapranoth New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Left the emergency brake on?

=)

Tried to use Mystery Squid's mouth as a supplemental power source, and he shut up for a few minutes?

=)

10. tunabreath

tunabreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Okay, assuming you got 45 mpg everywhere but this one stretch, it looks like you averaged about 11 miles per hour there.

If the total number of miles driven is 93, and the overall mpg is 40.2, then the number of gallons burned on this tank is 93/40.2.

If the number of miles driven in that one bad half hour is x, and you got 15 mpg going those x miles, then you burned x/15 gallons of gas during that time. If you got 45mpg otherwise, then you burned (93-x)/45 gallons of gas the rest of the time. Those two numbers have to add up to the total amount burned, 93/40.2. If you solve for x, you get about 5.5 miles in that half-hour period.

So I'm guessing that you were stuck in really bad traffic. There might even have been a nice 100-mpg bar at the very beginning.

11. benighted

benighted New Member

You normally get close to 100MPG on this strech of road... but this time you were going uphill instead of downhill on the same strech of road.

12. cmwade77

cmwade77 New Member

I am guessing a blizzard, combined with road construction caused a severe backup.

13. tunabreath

tunabreath New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    One more thing that kind of suggests that the car was going really slowly is the lack of little regeneration cars in the display.

And I agree the heat was probably on. Or at least, it would have been if I'd been driving. :)

14. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

You normally drive very slowly and draft a slow moving semi.

That day, there was a 2 for 1 sale at taco bell, but only for the first 100 guests.

So, you were driving at about 100mph into a headwind.

Loaded with passengers also?

15. priusblue

priusblue New Member

This makes sense - add jackrabbiting and/or a really loaded car and/or a really steep hill and there you go!

16. Nadler

Nadler Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It was moving day and your were towing a trailer, or your boat, or a horse. :)

17. mdmikemd

mdmikemd Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I like the parking brake theory, or how about you had it in "B"?

18. unruhly

unruhly New Member

AAAHHHH!!! I would go insane if I got a screen like that!

It's obvious... You were towing a broken down Hummer! :lol: Albeit very slowly.

19. v.jones

v.jones New Member

Looks pretty clear... it wasn't.

Slight downhill in a 35MPH zone for the normal 100mpg.

Bumper to bumper with the defroster going full blast should do the job. Aren't you glad you weren't Mystery Squid riding a bike in that weather :)

20. EricGo

EricGo New Member

or a hummer