1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pop-ular Music Trends?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by 2k1Toaster, Nov 4, 2013.

1. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For the purposes of this thread, I am talking about big-company radio station type music. Not necessarily just pop-music as the modern genre since a lot of today's music also includes things like dubstep, dance, techno, R&B, soul, etc. But if you hear or heard it on a "music of today" type radio station, then that's what I am talking about. Essentially the classic definition of pop-music, not just the more limited modern "pop" genre.

Having defined the scope, my question is if this pop-ular music has plateaued, or maybe reached a local peak.

I realize as everyone ages, the newer music become more and more crap while the tunes you grew up with become better and better. However, bear with me.

BBC Radio 1 does this thing called the "10 minute takeover" everyday. 3 songs get played, no matter what the age or genre. If it is in the system, it gets played. Over the past years I've been listening, almost every one of these songs has been a mid 80's to late 90's song. So when the people get to choose, they choose a 20 year period that doesn't include much from this millennium. The last time I listened to local terrestrial radio it was when people still called in to ask for their favourite music to be played and dedicated to someone. I remember the transition on the same stations from when everyone requested the modern music to when everyone started requesting the hits of a couple years ago, and then many years ago, all within the same period. Now almost a decade later, the requests still come from the same time period.

I listen to lots of the modern stuff and find most of it quite enjoyable. However, I find a much smaller percentage of proper tunes. The songs that if you hear them on the radio as you are pulling into your destination you will sit there listening to the end of the song instead of just shutting it off. Something that if your MP3 Player got stuck on a loop, you'd be OK with that for at least a little bit.

I don't consider myself that ancient although I am constantly reminded of my aging by all the tiny babies I knew that are now entering highschool.

My other hypothesis has been for a long time that people long for the music of eras past because they only remember the hits, so of course every song is awesome, they are already proven. Whereas today, there are hits in there mixed in with all the crap. I have held this belief for a long time, but I am starting to question the validity of the hypothesis because there is a good 10 year gap of requested hits. I would have expected for a distribution, rather than a cliff.

Just curious if anyone has experienced something similar. If your audio source of choice has a similar request system, have you noticed any sort of trend?

hkmb likes this.
  2. hkmb

hkmb Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Radio 1 is on Satellite in America, isn't it? I don't like it: I find it tries too hard to be "youth oriented", and doesn't have proper tunes.

But there is a lot of very good new music around: it just isn't on Radio 1. I don't think either of these are on US satellite radio, but you should try them:

• Triple J, Australia's State-owned youth-radio station. (triple j - new music | live music | Australian music | Hottest 100 | Hack | triple j Unearthed). It has lots of great new music from Australia, Britain and the US. There are lots of good songs of all types: lots of jangly guitar, lots of dance, some death metal, some punk, and some rap. When you say there are no more good tunes any more, I think this holds especially true for US rap. In the 80s and 90s, it was innovative, interesting, had good tunes, and often had a message, but now it's just Kanye and Jay-Z shouting crap rhymes about how they like having sex. Australian rap these days is like 80s and 90s US rap, and is well worth a listen.
    • BBC 6 Music, Radio 1's sister station. (BBC - Radio 6 Music - Home). It's aimed at appalling music snobs like me, and goes for the 20-40 demographic, so it's targeted at slightly older people than Radio 1. It's about half new music - most of it very good - and half older stuff, mainly indie and alternative.

I think your theory about nostalgia for old music is absolutely right. If we're listening to stations playing new music, some of it is good, and some of it is rubbish. But if we think of music from the "good old days", we only remember the good stuff: the rubbish just wasn't memorable.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maybe it's because the younger generation doesn't listen to the radio??? They download onto their phone. Maybe?

I'm definitely one of the ones that prefers music from the past. Specifically the period from about 250 years before I was born up until about 200 years before I was born. I hardly ever turn on the radio any more. I download music I want to listen to, and I download podcasts of what used to be radio programs. Now I can listen to what I want when I want, rather than being at the mercy of a DJ or the schedule of a radio program. Needing to be near a radio every week at the same time was a drag.

4. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Saw Hendrix on PBS last night.
    His genius is unmatched in contemporary music.
    Theres many genius musical talents throughout history.
    Why limit your taste to contemporary?
    The bad stuff should be ignored whether its old or new.