1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Pop-up adds

Discussion in 'PriusChat Website Questions' started by jelloslug, Sep 5, 2008.

1. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, that little crawly Son Of A Bitch crawled across my screen on every 3rd page I would open up.......Its getting to be like a skeet shoot, but NO PRIZE!!!

Kill it!!

73 de Pat KK6PD

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have not seen the the one that scrolls across the screen for a long time now. Of course I'm blocking the ads at home but at work I'm forced to use IE with no ad blocking. As much as I want to buy the Sharp solar panels when I get my own home I'm really starting to hate Sharp for that annoying ad. I might just buy BP solar panels instead.

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The Sharp ad is kind of annoying but that safecount.com ad is really starting to piss me off. I now get it almost every time I do a edit on a post or sometimes 30-60 seconds on my PC and Mac Puter.

Wildkow :mad:

4. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeah the safecount.com ad is becoming increasingly annoying. I think the frequency of the ad is growing greater. I want to know if its a paying ad, such as the sharp and fruit drink ads.

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be willing to pay for a premium no ads service on PC if it was offered.

6. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    As would I. Didn't Danny say something about in the future there would be a pay subscription?

7. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Me 3. I already pay for membership in a different forum. It takes money to run one of these sites.

I understand the need for advertising, but the expanding banner ads (e.g. Odwalla) in particular are making it difficult to post and search because they cover the text boxes where you need to enter info.

8. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Count me in for some bucks!!!

Pat KK6PD

9. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If Danny doesn't get paid for this F'ing ad is there a way for him to stop it? Grrrrrrr, :mad:

[​IMG]

Wildkow

10. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup, that one's pretty annoying. Adblock, here we come.

11. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Adblock eh? Thanks I can't believe I was unaware of that product! :duh:

Wildkow

12. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    After an absence of a few days, that scrolling ad is back again (safecount.com?)
    REALLY annoying - (I'm using Safari on an iMac)
    Also that Sharp ad drove me crazy - I couldn't do a search because the ad would "explode" over the areas you need to click for a search, probably due to the fact that my bi-focaled eyes need bigger screen printing than most people use.

13. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I think the pop-up ads are getting phased out, maybe? I have noticed a Shorebank ad, Charity car ad, Odwalla ad that didnt pop up, and a GMAC bank ad. For the last 2 weeks, all that I saw were the pop up Sharp and Odwalla ads, and that darn safecount scrolling ad.

14. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Has anyone actually clicked on that safecount ad? Maybe they're doing a survey on how people feel about scrolling ads, and we're missing our opportunity to tell them. ;)

15. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Well Hyo, I clicked the safecount ad, and oddly it just reloaded the page. I don't know what was supposed to happen. Maybe I just sent them all my personal information for them to "count" in a "safe" manner. ;)

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Me too. There used to be a link that said "Coming soon: No ads," or something to that effect, but nothing ever came of it. I asked, and someone (maybe Danny?) said "pretty soon," but still nothing.

I think there's an issue of how to charge for ads when some members are paying to opt out of ads. I really don't know what the issue is. But I know Danny was considering it or looking into it.

I'd definitely pay a subscription to be free of ads.

I think I clicked on it once. It brought up a survey that I started to answer, but after a few pages I lost interest and closed the window. Don't remember what it was about now, but not something that I had any strong feelings about offering my opinion on. It was a marketing survey, not a political opinion survey. Oh, yeah, I remember, it was all about flat-screen HDTVs: which brands you'd heard of, which you trusted, which you'd buy, etc. Might be different products at other times.

17. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry for just now updating everyone, but I have some news regarding the scrolling "pop up" ad. It is apparently for a survey tied to the Sharp Solar Panel ad campaign that has been running on PC for the last few weeks. It is supposed to only show up once every 24 hours, but I know that I have experienced it more often than that, and many of you all have as well.

The good news is that the ad campaign is ending today, so you shouldn't see them anymore after today.

We partnered with NaturalPath Media to provide advertising on PriusChat that provides value to our members. I think the Sharp Solar Panel campaign is something that a lot of PriusChat members are interested in, and the other campaigns running through them right now are the Odwalla "natural drink" campaign and the Shorebank "green bank" campaign.

PriusChat is currently funded through the advertisements we serve and your purchases through the PC Shop, and while it's important for the money to keep coming in so that the site can continue to exist, I'm always looking to try and reach a happy medium between annoying ads and revenue for the site.

As always, thanks for your input, everyone.