1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Popping / cracking noise when raising or lowering the driver side window

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by morglum, Aug 6, 2016.

1. morglum

morglum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

I rented my car for a few days on Turo and it returned with this problem. The renter says nothing happened, who knows.

When I raise or lower the window, there is a loud pop/crack that happens. It always happens at the same height. I can raise and lower the window for a couple inch around that point and reproduce that sound everythime.

Note: I once backed into a column win an underground parking with my door open (dont ask) and it bent the frame around the window a bit forward. I "pulled" it back using my hands then, but I probably don't have exactly the same shape. That being said, that was a year ago and the noise only appeared now.

BMW forums seem to suggest this is a window regulator problem. I havent seen anything here.

Is there a quick, cheap fix? Can I just ignore it and keep using the window?

Also, could there be any foul play by my renter? I dont see any bumps or scratches on the door.

best

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hard to say without seeing.hearing it. have you pulled the interior panel off?

3. morglum

morglum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    guess I'll have to!

bisco likes this.
  4. morglum

morglum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

Here is something new: I noticed that the pop/crack only happens when the door is fully closed or almost closed. If the door is more than, say, 1/4 open then the noise goes away.

What changes in the door when it goes from fully open to almost closed?

All I can think off is that metal "bar" that slides into the door and prevents the door from opening too much.

I have pulled the panel off. But I dont think I can see where that metal "bar" goes even with the panel off. I checked the bolt holding the glass to the regulator - it was tight enough.

any ideas?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you try putting it up and down with the panel off?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good call on the door check, maybe try removing it? the only other thing i can think of is the light switch. unless the door is warping as it closes because of the accident.

7. morglum

morglum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    H iBisco,
    I tried raising and loweing the window with the panel off, but there is not much to see as most of the interior is metal.

Also, I need to leave the panel connected to the door by a bundle of electric cable to allow the power window buttons to work. Guess I could remove the power window button from the panel to allow me to completely remove the panel.

I didnt know I could remove the "door check". I'll see what I can do.

thanks

bisco likes this.
  8. morglum

morglum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    update: it was the door check.

valde3 likes this.