1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Port-Added Options versus Dealer-Added Options

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by TonyPSchaefer, May 23, 2017.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'm about to (finally!) get in line for a Prime.

My concern is that I will wait and wait until it finally arrives. At that time, the dealer will say, "here's your car and the price is $xxx higher because these options have already been added. Take it or wait longer." By options added, I'm referring to things like Aero Side Splitter, Door Edge Guards, Rear Bumper Applique, Floor Liners, etc.

So my question is this: for those who have tracked their Prime, is there any way of knowing what was added at the dock so you knew what was added by the dealer?

2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    On mine, nothing was added at the dock, and the accessories I ordered were provided by the dealer in the trunk, uninstalled at my request. I got the rear bumper applique, the carpet floor mat package (including the cargo area) and the body side moldings. I had a clear mask installed by a local guy who does a great job and he put the rear bumper applique on at the same time.

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "Port", as you know Tony, is the specific Regional Distribution Center for your part of the Country...where their formulated vehicles and add-ons are mated and distributed to Dealerships base that Regional's criteria and merit. Them the Dealer gouges you for over priced tint, moldings, sealant, ect...

Every Dealership has a few people authorized to see what's coming to "Port", grab one ahead of time and control it's destiny. These people are usually the Sales Manager (the real one) and above. Find out who and go to them directly. Yes, it may require some wait for your specific choice of vehicle/level/colors to arrive at port, but once there, Regional and Dealer add-on's can be omitted or added as you require. Of course the easier option is to just special order using your same specific requirements and the same upper level person...because they have to authorize the order anyway. I have several years experience doing this with Gulf States, but all "Regions" work the same in this regard.

Most folks easily roll over to sales techniques designed to make you buy what's on the lot. You don't have to. While Corporate strictly controls and forbids mix-n-match of Level options, make the Dealer get you "exactly" what and how you want it within this limitation.

TonyPSchaefer likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    IF it's a buyers market, with tarted up cars languishing on lots, maybe you can tell them you're not paying for unrequested extras, and that will fly. I gather that's not the case now, at least not with the prime?

Is there more oversupply with regular Prius? Are you set on prime, Tony?

5. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    If you ordered your vehicle and specified what optional extras you wanted you have a contract with the dealer. Nothing else should be added at additional cost by either the dealer or the distributor.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes. I'm set on a Prime. I said a long time ago that my next car will have a cord. I didn't care for the 1st PiP and don't have regular access to a garage for charging an EV. And don't plan on running extension cords outside.

The good news is that I've got a guy I know and trust at a dealership I trust. It's not in the Chicagoland area so I had to mail a deposit check, with which I included a note indicating exactly what I want and "no additional accessories".

So I honestly feel good about the whole thing. But you guys know what it's like: this is a sizable chunk of change and I get nervous.

7. Jeremy Greenwood

Jeremy Greenwood New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I put a deposit for a spec'd out prime (just mats). The dealership was either incompetent or very adept. They told me that my ordered vehicle came with 1k in add-ons. I ended up paying my expected price (MSRP) for what I ordered and kept the add-ons without a mark-up. Make sure you are speaking as said before to the right person at a best in area dealership. My situation worked out for the better but I was playing their game all the way.