1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Port Authority Green Pass program

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by Nick the Reporter, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have yet to receive any response whatsoever to my technically flawed application for a Port Authority Green Pass.

I think there's an office in Staten Island full of people laughing at the same joke all day, every day ... they're much to busy to send me a denial letter.

2. KAR IDEA

KAR IDEA Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Hmph. Who do they think they are? The Port Authority? Geez!

3. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

And the red tape rolls on and on and on and on.....

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have the NY Thruway green pass before PA started the discount. I went to College Point ez-pass and they said I could the same tag to get both discount types.

I checked my account and guess what? I was seeing $6 off peak when it should be $4. I went back and they found out that the needed to link the two accounts in my tag. They will be crediting back those mischarges. I will see and report back.

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: Got my denial letter today denying my application for the Port Authority Green Pass (exactly 20 days after I had mailed out my application).

The denial letter said they couldn't give me a Green Pass because my existing E-ZPass was not issued by the Port Authority (it was issued by MTA).

They said that I had to open a second E-ZPass Account with the Port Authority. That I had to complete a new E-ZPass application; and resubmit my request for the Green Pass (together with a copy of my vehicle registration).

Well, I just finished doing exactly that. But I put both my new E-ZPass application and my resubmittal of my request for the Green Pass in the same envelope. Hope the fact that they're in the same envelope doesn't screw things up.

And what I really hope for is that they only send me the Port Authority Green Pass, and not the Port Authority white E-ZPass --- it'd be silly if they sent me the Port Authority white E-ZPass, and make me apply a third time for the Green Pass (not to mention, having to return my superfluous Port Authority and MTA white E-ZPasses).

Note: The new printed E-ZPass Application has a box to check off (enter the code for) for the Port Authority Green Pass. But the Online E-ZPass Application does NOT have a check off box for the Port Authority Green Pass. And neither Application has a box to check off which Agency you want your E-ZPass to be issued by.

6. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Linking of Thruway and Port Authority Green Passes into One Tag

Whoa, I didn't know they allowed you to link the Port Authority Green Pass to an existing Thruway Green Pass tag (and presumably, vice versa). Yes, do report back next month as to whether they linked the Green Passes into one tag.

7. SparrowHawk60

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: Linking of Thruway and Port Authority Green Passes into One Tag

I second the request for "Link" information, neither the PA or TA has been able to answer this question for me.

Poor Boo, keep on trying sooner or later the powers to be will send you the right EZ-pass, good luck!

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I over heard conversation when they were linking. They had to highlight my tag number and then do the linking. I couldn't see the screen to tell exactly what they were doing.

I will be using the Holland Tunnel the weekend again. On Monday or Tuesday, I'll check how much I get charged online and let you guys know.

9. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Confirmed! I used the NY Thruway green pass in Holland Tunnel yesterday during offpeak hour and got charged for $4 only!

10. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Linking Green Passes

usbseawolf2000,

Thanks. That's great to know that it can be done.

After I get my Port Authority Green Pass tag, I'm going to try to get the Thruway Green Pass linked to it.

11. SparrowHawk60

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Without giving up your first born or a pint of blood?
    Wow, I'm in a state of shock that NYS could do such a thing!
    Now I have to work on getting my Green Pass "linked"!
    Thanks for the heads up and the info you posted!

12. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Linking Thruway and Port Authority Green Passes Into One Tag

I'm thinking that this linking of Green Passes into one tag is a recent development, and a not very well administered one at that.

-- In my denial letter for a Port Authority Green Pass, they said that I needed an existing account with the Port Authority or the Thruway Authority first, notwithstanding that the Port Authority website clearly says that you need an existing account with the Port Authority first (no mention of Thruway Authority).

-- On the printed and online application for E-ZPass, there are spaces to apply for multiple discount plans.

All of which suggests that not only can you get a linked tag, but if you were a new Prius owner you could fill out one application and receive one cool green tag with both the Port Authority and Thruway Green Passes discount plans linked into it -- and without them sending you a generic white E-ZPass tag first and then asking you to submit a separate application for a green tag with Green Pass(es).

But who knows? The E-ZPass, Port Authority and Thruway Authority websites, and the printed and online E-ZPass applications, are confusing and contradictory to say the least.

Would love to get the Port Authority Green Pass soon. Looking forward to going to Ikea in Elizabeth and essentially getting a Swedish Meatballs meal for free with the $4 savings from the Green Pass. :p

13. Bababooey

Bababooey Horse Toothed Jackass

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What in the hell is wrong with these EZ Pass people?

I applied for both a NYS Thruway Authority AND a Port Authority Green Pass Account and was rejected for both. :mad:

I filled out both applications clearly and concisely and included a note that I own a qualifying hybrid vehicle. I included copies of my vehicle registration and I included the required tag deposits and initial replenishements. (Just for the record: I will not give EZ Pass my credit card number as I have heard that they regularly overcharge users with excessive replenshments) :confused:

Obviously, all of this wasn't good enough for these morons (I'd like to tell you what I really think about these pinheads, but decorum prevents me from doing so). :eek:

I think that I will purchase a NYS Thruway Authority "EZ Pass On The Go" so I can at least establish an account with this agency. I will then see if I can exchange the white EZ Pass for a green one. :rolleyes:

If I still cannot obtain a green EZ Pass, I will just continue using my MTA Bridges and Tunnels issued EZ Pass, but I will avoid toll roads and bridges whenever I can! ;)

14. Yankees251

Yankees251 Black Touring HI Package

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just mailed my application to EZPass NY with a copy of registration. Applying for a new pass and listed the "green" discount plans in Box 4, for both NYS Thruway and Port Authority. I'll post updates.

15. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Re: Linking Thruway and Port Authority Green Passes Into One Tag

I did not mention before that I had (and still have) a regular white tag EZ-Pass. With that I went to College Point office and they gave me the NY Thruway Green Pass. They said I could return the white tag as it will work as a normal tag in PA or NYT. I never returned the white tag. When PA started offering discount, I went back with my NYT Green Pass and got it linked up with PA discount plan.

I think they are saying you need a normal EZ-Pass account before applying for the green pass. In another word, you can not skip a step and get just the Green Pass.

16. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL! I Got It!

Guess what showed up in the mail today? My Port Authority Green Pass!!!

And they didn't even do something extremely stupid like mailing me a Port Authority white EZPass first and telling me to reapply for the Green Pass!

My guess now is that if you fill out one EZPass Application and check the boxes/fill in the codes for both the Port Authority Green Pass and the Thruway Green Pass (and provide a copy of your car registration), then they will send you one Green EZPass tag that is linked for both the Port Authority and the Thruway Green Pass discount programs. But I wonder what the Green EZPass tag will say as the "issuer" of the tag --- the Port Authority or the Thruway Authority? I guess Yankees251 will be able to tell us soon.

Now that I got my Port Authority Green Pass tag, I'll see what they tell me about getting the Thruway Green Pass linked to it.

BTW, my Green Pass tag is thicker than my existing white EZPass tag. So much so that it wouldn't fit into my plastic, suction cup EZPass holder without my taking the thick velcro strips off first.

Love the green color of the Green Pass tag. See pic below:

Attached Files:

• 052.JPG
      052.JPG
      File size:
      82.8 KB
      Views:
  17. Yankees251

Yankees251 Black Touring HI Package

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Re: LOL! I Got It!

Correct, I received mine on Friday, all GREEN and shiny.:rockon: Roughly one week from the date I mailed form and the issuer is the PA of NY.

18. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: LOL! I Got It!

Wow, you got yours fast!

It would be interesting to learn if they successfully put both the PA and Thruway Green Pass discounts on the tag.

The green color tag (or any color for that matter ... my sister has a blue government tag) is much better looking than the white tag. And it especially looks good in a black plastic suction cup tag holder. Those industrial velcro strips that come with all the tags are ugly.

19. SparrowHawk60

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    All righty boys and girls, this post has slowed to a dead stop.
    Do we have conformation that the Port Authority Green Pass and the Thruway Authority Green Pass can be linked, combined, turned into one?
    I still don't think it's worth the head ache to try and get my combined until they offer all the discount programs on one pass. I just don't go in and out of the "city" that often to worry about it. I would like to have the T.A.G.P. combined with the New York State Bridge Authority commuter discount, that would pay off for me.

20. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Seems that way to me.

usbseawolf2000, after two tries, got both Green Pass discounts linked into one tag.

Yankees251 applied for one tag with both Green Pass discounts, and got back one tag -- which presumably has both Green Pass discounts linked into it.

I think that barring a screw up by the EZPass folks, you can get all the discounts that you're eligible for and want linked into one tag.