1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Portable GPS Unit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Tomel51, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Tomel51

Tomel51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Help. My portable GPS won't work in my new Prius!

I've used the Garmin Quest portable GPS for the past 5 years. It has a suction mount and is easily transferable between the vehicles that I use. Tried to hook it up to my new Pri the other day and found out I have a problem.

The speaker for the Quest is integrated into the power cord and is located right next to the plug. In other words, when I install the Quest on the Pri, the speaker is inside the console and can only be heard if the console door is left in the fully open position (unacceptable).

Can anyone recommend a portable GPS unit that works with the Prius and that is easily transferable between vehicles?

Also, is there a channel somewhere in the Prius Console where the power cord is supposed to go so it doesn't get crimped when the console door is closed?

Thanks.

2. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn't there another outlet under the dash below the left edge of the lower glovebox in the 2004 to 2009 Prius in the USA?
    [​IMG]

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes Pat, there is. :)

4. Tomel51

Tomel51 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks! I didn't know about that power outlet (and, believe it or not, I'm one of those owners who actually read the manual - just missed it).

You saved me a couple hundred bucks. I learn new things about the Prius every day.

5. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You didn't need to read the manual to know about that outlet, as it is in plane sight. How the heck could you not see it?