1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Portable Jump Starter with "Teeth" that fit Prius Auxiliary Battery Positive Terminal

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by JAW, May 24, 2011.

1. JAW

JAW New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I've been perusing the forum, searching for information on recommended jump starters, but I haven't found a thread that recommends a jump starter that has basic "alligator teeth to positive terminal" compatibility (if it exists, I apologize for not finding it). Has anyone found a portable jump starter that can actually clamp on the tight, narrow terminal for the auxiliary battery?

Thanks for your help,
    Justin

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Why do it the hard way? You can jump at the jump point under the hood.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I jump from under the hood. It's a lot easier.

Tom

4. tomlouie

tomlouie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  5. JAW

JAW New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the responses. So is there another jump point under the hood other than the auxiliary battery with the little red cover and the little bolt sticking up? Because that's what I've been jumping with an awkwardly sized normal jump starter cable, and the jump starter I bought...the jumper clamp is too big. So if the ring terminal harness is the best bet, I'll try and get a portable jump starter with ring terminals (I've never jumped a car without standard clamps, so anything else is new to me).

6. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since you already own a jumpstart device, I suggest either of the following two suggestions:

1) Replace the positive clamp with a smaller clamp that you could buy, from a Radio Shack store for example.

2) Use an alligator clip to contact the dedicated positive jumpstart terminal, then connect your jumpstart clamp to that clip.

Either alternative would be much less expensive than buying another jumpstart device.

1 person likes this.
  7. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh! My bad, you're already using the jump point under the hood. In that case, what Patrick wrote. A fat alligator clip lead is perfectly adequate for the current draw.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Be aware you don't attach the jumper clamp to that bolt you use the flat metal tab the bolt is holding down. That metal tab sticks straight up next to the bolt.

9. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on what I've read it sounds like you've jumped the car several times. What is the voltage on your current 12v? The 12volt in our cars do not like running out of juice and may need to be changed.

10. richard schumacher

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    D'ohh!! Ditto Ryanpl. If you need to jump the car more than once then the battery is toast and should be replaced. If it did not die from sheer age or being drained by operator error then there may be an underlying problem with the inverter, etc.