1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Portable/mini solar panels

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by djphill, Sep 14, 2008.

1. djphill

djphill Master of The World

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I was thinking about getting a solar panel for my laptop. I also want to use my laptop to charge my electronics like ipod and phone. I was wondering if it would actually have a beneficial environmental affect. Also if you would recommend buying one, where could i get one for a reasonable price.
    :hippie:

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Real Goods sells stuff like that.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I'm not mistaken you need a pretty large/powerful panel to handle a laptop. Most of the smaller ones are fine for cell phones and iPods, but not adequate for a laptop.

4. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think there are 20W fold outs that can recharge a laptop pretty well. Most modern laptops draw around 40W so you couldn't power it directly in that fashion, but recharging it for use.

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've been using a 12W panel and a 12V battery to run my laptop for about eight years now. The panel keep the battery charged constantly, and then the laptop's battery also works as a buffer. I have about 10 hours of constant usage per day if I want it... but have never needed it.

6. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can use a smaller panel if you live on the sun. :rolleyes:

Tom

7. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    I was suprised to see this roll up (# 140267524574) on eBay w/o a minimum bid, Whenever you can buy in at $5 per watt (or not much more) you are doing pretty well.

Most notebook computers use about 20 watts (I think this ir right, Tripp), which means either big panels or a battery buffer like Darell's. I am waiting availabilty of the little MSI or Lenovo subnotes with LED screen backlighting. Those can get buy on about 10 watts.

8. djphill

djphill Master of The World

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    well size isn't that big of a problem, because i have a medium sized balcony to put it on. The fact is that it has to be able to be put away somewhat easily (it shouldn't be staionary). And all the ones that i looked at are either 300 dollars or don't really go to laptops. Suggestions?

9. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I kilowatted ours and it comes in just over 40W. It's a typical newer laptop (kinda, not really I guess. It's over a year old).

10. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got my Dell Inspiron 6400 (17" screen) on the Kill A Watt as I type this.
    With a 100% battery charge I'm drawing a continuous 38W +/- 3W with occ. peaks to the low 40s on the "High Performance" setting.

When I switch to the "Power Saver" setting I drop to 32W +/- 2W.

Charging the battery when it was down to about 60% charge drew closer to 60W +/- 5W.

So I think you could get away with a 40W panel to give you pretty much indefinate power, a 30W on low power would keep you going for a very long time almost balancing the drain from the battery on a "power saver" setting. Lower wattage panels might extend the battery life, but couldn't sustain for long.

11. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That sounds about right.

12. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We live off grid for much of the year, and I build and install PV systems for a living. My Apples draw ~ 60 watts when fully discharged, ~30 just to run.

When you do a calc about how many watts of panel you need for any given task, you have to consider charge efficiencies, hours of (good) sun versus how much run time (load), how long you are willing to go without plugging in etc.

We use ~ 500 watt hours of power per day for all purposes. We generate that with 200 watts of panel, and get about 6 hours of good sun on the panels per day.

I suggest that you visit the following site if you are really serious about PV solar: Solar Electric Discussion Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Icarus

PS The retail cost of panels alone are ~$5/watt. As you get into smaller, portable panel systems, they get pricier. Watch out for cheap e-bay type systems.

13. Froley1

Froley1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    i carry a very small but expensive--and very nicely designed folding panel for my cellphone as possible backup power in my messenger bag---which seems to work well although i've never used it when the phone is completely depleted-----new mexico's sunshine helps---i purchased one of the roll up panels off ebay for my laptops---just in case--------but have never used it as of yet....
    regards
    Froley

14. ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy Live Free & Leave No Footprint

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I purchased the 25 W Sun Catcher Expedition 4 years ago. This unit is pricey but nice in that it folds up and is truly portable, has a DC female outlet and features single crystalline solar cells. I'm thinking of wiring my Prius with the 12 Vdc outlet always on so that I can place this on my dashboard and charge my start-up battery when I leave my car at the airport for extended time as I've had problems in the past.