1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Portable non-gas generator charging Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by pianohawk, Nov 13, 2017.

1. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Volts = the strength of the electricity (analogy...the pressure in your tires; 36 psi is "stronger" than 10 psi)
    Amps = the rate of flow of the electrons (analogy...gallons per minute of water flowing out of a hose)
    Watts = measure of power. Volts x amps = watts (746 watts = 1 horsepower)
    watt-hours = quantity of electric power = watts x hours (analogy...gallons of gas in your tank)
    kilowatt-hours = 1000 times the line above

Simply stated there is no easy, cheap, small, portable way to recharge the Prime battery. Just drive on battery power from home as far as it takes you, then run on the gasoline engine until you get back home. The gasoline engine is the most economical, cleanest burning engine Toyota can make (at this price point).

MMBH and Lee Jay like this.
  2. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Well....
    [​IMG]

3. MMBH

MMBH Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    But unfortunately the Prius Prime "Safety Features" that matter really only exist in the ADVANCE (imho) :(

4. MMBH

MMBH Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Just an outside the box thought.... Is there anyone in the neighborhood that would let you plug in at their place for the going rate?

And apparently this is an oder thread so not sure if it matters at this point, but, love to know how it turned out and what you ended up doing! :)

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Dang, I drive a Plus. Waiting to die . . . NOT!

Bob Wilson

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    aren't we all?(n)

7. MMBH

MMBH Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Well, just saying that those minimal safety features in the lower Prime models are no big loss. Plus, it resulted in >$8,000 repair and loss of my vehicle for 3 weeks for an accident in my own driveway because I was backing up and clipped the flagpole in front which if those safety features were present should have warned me and sensed that a pedestrian or other object was in close proximity! Just not impressed with those minimal safety features int the Prime Premium! Sorry if you were offended by my response!

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Not offended as much as thankful for TSSP. Regardless of what safety features, if we don’t look at the backup camera screen, might as well sit on the seat belt.

Bob Wilson

9. MMBH

MMBH Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    FYI --- I was looking at the back up screen!!! I wasn't looking forward when it clipped the flagpole in the front because I was distracted by the friggin huge backup screen and the TSSP didn't go off to tell me that I was close to hitting it - so what good is the TSSP in the Prime!!!!

10. MMBH

MMBH Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium

11. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The solar roof is a joke. You get perhaps a mile worth of charge per day. Even a larger solar panel isn't much of a solution. A 4' by 8' produces around 200W for maybe 5 hours. Not enough!

Generators are not recommended because their output is "dirty". i.e. it will eventually destroy your charger. Unless they are very large and connected to the grid. I have had to repair a lot of electronics powered by generators at forest fires.

walterm likes this.
  12. dziadek1818

dziadek1818 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Hello,
    I wonder about this topic, since last reply few quite big solar generator have appeared in the market.
    Like this one for instance:
    AC 100V 240V High Storage Portable Solar Generator 3000Wh Power Supply for Camping, Backup Power DC/AC Output|Jump Starter| - AliExpress

Have anyone tried to power their car via such solar generator?

13. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You could certainly use this to move electricity from some other source to your car, but unfortunately it would take much longer and use more total electricity than if you simply plug the car in directly.

dziadek1818 likes this.
  14. dziadek1818

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    obviously, this is just follow up on this topic.

This generator has 3kw capacity, prius battery has 8,8kwh . So it is like 1/3 needed.
    But I just wonder if anyone, just like author of this post has used such "non-gas" portable generator? :)

15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    You do understand that it's just words- there is no generator at all. It's just a rechargeable battery that you can charge up at home. You're still paying for the energy somehow.

16. dziadek1818

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    no i dont understand that I need you to help :D :D
    and i reccomend you read the main post.

Indeed, this is battery, portable battery can be charge via different sources of power and become a generator.
    I got pv at home almost off-grid so dont worry.

17. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    With the ad blocker paused, I can't see what products the OP was considering, but it is possible to charge the car from another battery.

The question is why would you want too?

It would take three of those units to fully charge a Prius Prime. The, not included, solar panel they picture won't recharge the battery up in a day. That is a lot of money and hassle to charge a PHEV when away from the grid.

If not having the engine come on is so important, then why buy a car with one?

18. dziadek1818

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

as the main author put it, he needed that cos his company did not provide any charging station thus he came up with an idea (portable generator). At this time, market did not provide big ones. Now one can get portable 3KW battery.

I simply followed that idea and ask if any one do this after last post. If anyone tried such idea :)
    charge at home, take with you in the trunk and use it later on, just as the main author needed to.

19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    He wanted to reduce his gasoline costs. One of those 3kW units power might provide enough charge for 10 miles of EV range; saving maybe $1, minus the electricity fees, per day. The power supply costs over $2000 though. There won't be money savings for 6 years.

That's the issue with this, or adding more batteries to the car. It would have cost less to get a BEV or PHEV with longer EV range to begin with.

dziadek1818 likes this.