1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

portable solar power

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by astro, Mar 17, 2006.

1. astro

astro New Member

after reading this thread, it reminded me why i don't use solar power: i live in an apartment.

i've always thought it would be wonderful to stick a solar panel on my patio and plug my fridge into it. in fact, i think there are solar backup generators that can do just this. but i want my fridge to run at night, too.

so i wonder: is there a solar device that plugs into the wall, that i can plug my fridge into, and that only sends power one-way (by which i mean into the fridge, not back into the wall, which could be problematic)? in other words, my elec. device(s) would still draw power from the grid, but not as much, because part of their power would be solar.

2. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm... I doubt that there's anything cheap and easy. First off, you need an inverter to convert the energy coming from the panels into AC for use by your appliances. I don't think that the building people would allow an inverter to be wired into the main circuit on your unit. It'd probably be a major headache. You could by a small charger to use solar for battery charging etc. There are products out there that you can hook-up to your laptop to power it by the sun. As for major appliances though I don't think there's much in the portable line, if anything.

3. astro

astro New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Mar 17 2006, 03:28 PM) [snapback]226106[/snapback]</div>
    i think we're both on the same page in terms of it not being cheap, and the cost issue may be the real reason i haven't seen anything on the market. but if they make solar battery chargers, laptop chargers, and the solio, there ought to be a way to make a unit with the inverter built-in - i.e., truly portable.

4. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I recall, my Kill-a-Watt read about 2kw/hr a day for my refridgerator. So, you would need to calculate the battery pack size and amount of solar panels necessary to maintain that 24 hours a day. I think you will be surprised at the expense, actually, its not cheap. :( You should use a sinewave inverter, to avoid damage to the fridge compressor, if I'm not mistaken. If your goal is simply to offset some of your electricity use, it is much cheaper to use a battery-less grid-tie system. They are generally much more efficient than a solar panel-to-battery-to-inverter-to-appliance type system, and have no expensive batteries to maintain. Depending where you live, there may be some incentives too.
    If you really need to backup your refridgerator, you should probably consider one of the DC powered, extremely efficient ones available. The amount of panels required would be MUCH less:
    Priuschat

5. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yeah, like KeyDiver pointed out, fridges are pigs. Absolute pigs. In an apt your hands are really tied. You just don't have a lot of control over some of the biggest energy users in your living space. Fridge, AC (if you have one), dish washer, etc. Seems like the only thing that you really have control over is light bulbs. At least you could install CF bulbs. Lower energy foot print and less radiant heat. That help on cooling costs (a little, anyways). You can also reduce your ghost load by putting things like stereo, TV, DVD/VCR on power stips. These devices always draw power (a couple of watts) even when they're "off". Little custom build inverters that charge portable devices (they're called vampires) also draw a small amount of power all the time. Unplug them when you don't need them.

One thing that you could use solar for (for about $300) is portable device charging (cell phones, razors, cameras, roombas, etc).

6. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ May 9 2006, 01:46 PM) [snapback]252239[/snapback]</div>
    That is one energy drain that I could eliminate in my house (I confess, too many gadgets.) Do you have any recommendations for a solar charger that would be useful for this purpose?

7. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(larkinmj @ May 9 2006, 12:49 PM) [snapback]252269[/snapback]</div>
    I sure do:

http://store.sundancesolar.com/20wadosoenst.html

Big Daddy has one and it appearently works well. I'm gonna pick one up soon myself

8. larkinmj

larkinmj New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ May 9 2006, 04:50 PM) [snapback]252345[/snapback]</div>
    Looks good- Thanks!