1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Portable tire inflator?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriusRos, Aug 13, 2006.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 28 2006, 06:30 PM) [snapback]310770[/snapback]</div>
    The bright yellow one at Pep Boys was also the one that I saw, which they didn't have last time I visited. I visited another Pep Boys and called two more -- none of them have the same one anymore.

The one from Walmart that a previous poster described below will fit in that compartment, but it doesn't have a digital gauge. It's inexpensive though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Aug 14 2006, 12:50 PM) [snapback]303036[/snapback]</div>

2. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 16 2006, 10:44 AM) [snapback]304111[/snapback]</div>
    What's wrong with a standard bicycle pump? They're light, use no fuel and run silently. (The kind that stand on the floor and you pump with your arms). They also fit in the below-trunk storage space.

It takes about 10 pumps to put one PSI into a Prius-sized tire, which sounds like a lot, but I bet it goes faster than one of those little noisy beasts. When I had a leaky tire on my Subaru, it took about 50-60 pumps on the weekend to bring it back up (12 pumps/psi on those tires), but when I started having to do that twice a week, I knew it was time to get my tire fixed.

3. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Aug 28 2006, 06:51 PM) [snapback]310780[/snapback]</div>
    I don't shop at Walmart; they're evil.

The local Pepboys are "supposed" to get new stock Tuesday/Wednesday (depending on the store), so I'll check once more. If it comes down to getting the same unit again, I'll get it from Sears. Only fair, since I bought/returned it, and I'd prefer black over lemon-yellow anyway.

4. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 28 2006, 07:02 PM) [snapback]310787[/snapback]</div>
    I think it's different from the Sears model. I think I remember reading on the yellow one at Pepboys that the reading is plus/minus .5 psi. On the Sears, it says plus/minus 2 psi.

5. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Aug 28 2006, 05:18 PM) [snapback]310766[/snapback]</div>
    The owner's manual gives some advice about this:

6. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Aug 28 2006, 07:48 PM) [snapback]310822[/snapback]</div>

Seems oddly close in appearance, then, including that weird little curvy bit at the front. But for the color, it seemed to be an exact match.

7. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Aug 28 2006, 10:07 PM) [snapback]310898[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 28 2006, 10:49 PM) [snapback]310924[/snapback]</div>
    We might not even be talking about the same model at Pep Boys. The one I saw cost $30, I think (same as Sears). It was yellow and had the detachable gauge, but I didn't really look at it that closely. The time that I saw it, there was also another model there, also yellow, but bigger, I think.

8. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a couple of questions about the Sears model I just bought, which several of you have been using. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but I've been looking at the instructions.

What is the little flexible rubber piece with a round thing at each end that attaches to the 12V plug? The diagram says it's the cigarette plug holder or something and they show the picture of one attached to the unit's 12V plug. But I don't understand what the other end is supposed to attach to or why. I guess it has something to do with the cigarette lighter power outlet, but why would it need a holder?

There's a little black plastic adapter with an elbow bend that was tucked under the red rounded piece. There's no picture or description of this piece. I figured that it fits on to the digital gauge when it's detached from the unit. Does this make it easier to place on the tire valve?

What is that red thing for anyway? Is it a handle, or just a piece to hide the little black thing that isn't worth mentioning? :lol:

9. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Aug 29 2006, 05:51 PM) [snapback]311308[/snapback]</div>

I think it's the same. I looked at both: both the Sears and the Pepboys models say "Accurate from 0-250 PSI in 0.5 PSI increments." Even the little icon for how to remove the gauge is the same.

Interesting phrasing; it can be taken two ways.
    1) It measures from 0-250 PSI and is accurate to within 0.5 PSI.
    2) Is able to measure (to a non-specified degree of accuracy) from 0-250 PSI. Measures in 0.5 increments

10. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Aug 29 2006, 06:03 PM) [snapback]311314[/snapback]</div>
    Seeing your question, I stared at it, trying to figure out why we would need a holder, and finally it hit me. With the Prius, we don't; but for other car models, you take the (non-attached) plug out of the 12 volt supply and pop it into one of the the rings (leaving the other around the inflator's 12v plug). Keeps you from losing it. :)

I guess so. Seems to make the angle easier. My guess is that it was an afterthought. Maybe they received complaints?

Seems sort of superfluous as a handle. With the airhose in place, it's a PITA to grip; otherwise, it's really too small to be useful as a handle (at least for my hands). My guess, though, is that someone thought it looked cool to have. It is handy for storing that little angle thingy, though.

My question: With the gauge removed, I can see what looks like a nylon cord inside the center slot/tab that snaps onto the gauge (i.e. on the inflator body). Why would that be there? Anyone else?

11. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Aug 28 2006, 07:00 PM) [snapback]310784[/snapback]</div>
    Right on, brother! I was beginning to think I was the only one with a bicycle tire pump in my trunk!

12. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Aug 28 2006, 07:00 PM) [snapback]310784[/snapback]</div>
    Nothing wrong with that, unless you're lazy, like me! :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 29 2006, 07:44 PM) [snapback]311355[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, of course. You're so clever. If you had a cigarette lighter, for example, you'd slip the ring around it so you wouldn't lose it.

I don't see the nylon cord thingie.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 29 2006, 07:28 PM) [snapback]311349[/snapback]</div>
    I could be mistaken, but I thought I was reading the instructions on the box (or maybe I opened the box and actually took out the instructions). I seem to remember that it said it would measure the tire pressure to within +/- .5 psi. Also, there's an earlier post in this thread by someone who said he/she has a Michelin tire inflator from Pep Boys and that it measures to within .5 psi.

By the way, I don't know how well it works yet because I haven't had a chance to try it, but I think the Sears inflator has a really cool design. I like the way the cords wrap neatly around the body and there is a place for everything, including the little elbow-bend adapter.

13. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    But measuring to within +/- 0.5 isn't the same as being accurate to same. The instructions clarify this: yes, it measures in 0.5 increments, but "the gauge will display the current tire pressure + or - 2 PSI."

14. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I think that Craftsman is a Sears-exclusive brand that you can't find anywhere except Sears. So my guess is that the two products under discussion are, indeed, different - even if it's just the brand stamped on the item.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 29 2006, 09:02 PM) [snapback]311409[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, +/- .5 PSI is the degree of precision.

15. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Aug 29 2006, 10:37 PM) [snapback]311423[/snapback]</div>
    Pretty sure not. The inflator from Pepboys is exactly the same as the one from Sears, but in yellow. Found a pic of the one from Pep Boys; it's made by Bon-Aire. Here they are, side by side:

[attachmentid=4681][attachmentid=4682]

But for the color and the label, they are exactly the same, down to the smallest detail

Interesting. Looks like the Craftsman inflators are rebranded Bon-Aires. See also

[attachmentid=4683] [attachmentid=4684]

16. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 29 2006, 10:18 PM) [snapback]311432[/snapback]</div>
    The Craftsman name is Sears-only. However, their products are sometimes OEM-rebranded. I wanted a keyless entry for my garage door opener, which is a Liftmaster Security+. After some research, I determined the Craftsman Security+ garage door opener was the same product, just rebranded (altho nobody told you that). Downloading their installation manuals showed the same pictures and large parts of the text were the same. So I biked over to Sears, picked it up, and it worked just fine.

Rebranding of OEM products is pretty common. Working at Zenith (the TV maker), we would sometimes sell other people's products as our own (particularly from LG when they took over the company), and sell our TVs to other manufacturers to sell under their name, often under relatively unknown labels. It was all very confusing, but part of that is deliberate. The store can say this is the best price for the AlphaBeta product and it has all the standard features of the big names, which is true. But it turns out AlphaBeta is only sold by that chain of stores, and it's really the same as a GammaDelta discounted in a big box store down the street, but the literature won't tell you that.

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How come whenever I look for the Michelin one, all I get are links to the UK. Isn't it sold in the U.S.?

18. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 29 2006, 11:18 PM) [snapback]311432[/snapback]</div>
    Wow - I think you've pretty much proved it -- they are the same!

Okay. What it boils down to is that if you want a digital-gauge tire inflator, I think you are limited to Craftsman or Bon-Aire!

Thanks for the pictures. Now I don't feel I might might have missed a better one at Pep Boys.

19. Scott_R

Scott_R Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Aug 29 2006, 11:57 PM) [snapback]311445[/snapback]</div>
    Indeed, I should have clarified. You can only get Craftsman at Sears, but that doesn't mean you can only get that product at Sears. The only trick is to find out what other name it's sold under.

Having come up empty for an alternate, I went and bought the same darned inflator again from Sears. I didn't feel bad returning it the first time: I was considering doing so anyway, because it had clearly been already returned by someone else!! More importantly, the package was missing some items. Interesting story: I brought it back, told the guy at Sears Auto that it was clearly a returned item missing a few things, and he took it and put it right back on the shelf. When I pointed out that someone else might not want a returned item that wasn't complete, he looked perplexed.

20. PriusRos

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ScottR @ Aug 31 2006, 08:54 PM) [snapback]312484[/snapback]</div>
    That sort of reaction is common, unfortunately. It's amazing how there sometimes doesn't seem to be a connection between the fact that somebody returns an item because it was defective in some way and that the next person might also find the same defect!

Yep, our options are limited! I still haven't tried it out yet. I hope it works well. As I said earlier, I like the way it looks with a place for everything.