1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possibility of shifting the rear inverter for AWD-e model

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dave Witjaksono, May 18, 2023.

1. Dave Witjaksono

Dave Witjaksono New Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Base AWD-e
    Hello All,

Now I own the AWD-e 2022 model. The rear wheels of this AWD-e is powered by an inverter box (size of 3 x 3 x 1 inches) which was placed at the supposedly spare-tire space (on the old model) when the plastic lid surrounded by the styrofoam is lifted up.

Since I bought the OEM donut too, I am considering shifting this inverter a little to the left or right so the spare-tire donut is just enough to snug in under the cargo's deck board. I am not sure how this inverter is currently secured to the car body but I think it may be bolted.

I wonder whether this shifting is possible and what is the procedure/re-programming of the module and what I need to consider for the new places. As if this inverter emits heat and is surrounded by styrofoam (with a clearance all around of 1 inch) it wouldn't be ideal also it is currently close to the Nickel battery storage.

Any thoughts.

2. CooCooCaChoo

CooCooCaChoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I wouldn't touch it. You could cause damage that, if discovered, would void all warranties from Toyota as well as being refused coverage from your insurance because it was modified.

MitchA likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can you post a photo?

4. MitchA

MitchA New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm kind of the opinion that the engineers who decided it should be placed in that specific spot must have thought about that decision when they designed it. Personally, I wouldn't mess with it. Also and I'm sure you're already aware but if not... any orange connectors are HIGH VOLTAGE so be careful.