1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible bad CV axle?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ttou68, May 15, 2020.

1. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    2010 Prius with 209K miles, been having noise symptom like bad driver's side front wheel bearing. It starts at approximately 27mph and gets louder to 45mph, but seems quieting down at highway driving but still pretty loud and sound like engine tick...

Replaced driver's side wheel bearing and old bearing doesn't seem bad after I removed it. it didn't fix the noise...

Have car on jacks, put it in drive and couldn't hear any noise and right bearing seems to be in good condition, no noise.( Should have done it before changed out the driver side bearing, but I thought for sure the wheel bearings going bad.. lol)..
    ABS kicked in when trying to accelerate so I couldn't hear wheels rotate at a higher speed, Perhaps I should turn off ABS?

I've read that you could turn in maintenance mode and turn one wheel at a time by hand?

Went under the car to check both CV axles, no leak in boots but notice passenger side has more play then driver side.. at this point I'm thinking about replacing both CV axles, but wanted to get some input before I proceed.

Thank you all in advance for any suggestions and guidance..

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#1 ttou68, May 15, 2020
    Last edited: May 15, 2020
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've only had one experience with bad CV axle (plus a few leakers). This was with a previous car so fwiw. I believe the decisive symptom was a rhythmic noise while turning. And my recollection, it's kinda contrarian, ie: if you hear the noise during a left turn it's the right CV joint, and vice versa?

pjksr02 likes this.
  3. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you, noise occurs like wheel bearing.. start at approximately 27mph and seems to decrease after 45mph but definitely could hear at highway speed and sometimes louder and very noticeable..

Don't recall noise at while make turns, but will drive down the road in a few to double check..

Local salvage yard has a pair with 163K for $60, and I'm tempted to get it just to see if it's my issue.. I know it's not an ideal replacement but it's something I could have today and not spending whole lot of money in case it wasn't like the wheel bearing I replaced.. lol

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can't you get a new set of axles for less than $200 (maybe significantly less)? I'd just put a new driver-side axle in, and see if the noise goes away. Do the other side later. Always be careful removing and installing the axle(s), to preserve the oil seals.

5. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well, I swapped out 2 tires in front after all the attempt to find the noise with no results and that fixes the issue... Never hear that type of noise and that much noise out of tires before, learn something new everyday..

6. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    1A Auto is $122, but currently out of stock of the right hand side...
    Cardone is $85 and was considering it..
    This is a fix upper, not going with OEM which is quite a bit more..

I have just come back from testdrive after swapped out of 2 front tires with snow tires I have in the garage and the noise is now gone!
    Well, still some noise because of snow tires but is so quiet comparing the other 2 tires...
    So, looking to replace tires now...

7. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Strange, but glad to "hear" the noise is gone. And you had fun with the front bearing, surely.

ttou68 likes this.
  8. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Strange is right!
    I've swapped a set of tires before and found one rear bearing was bad, Moog didn't last 3 years..
    Should have tried tires again before front bearing...
    Yeah, that front bearing is not near as easy as rear bearing, but I beat it out!

Rear was easy with bolts, nuts and washers, and currently looking into fabricating a tool for the front hub in case I had to do it again!

pjksr02 and Mendel Leisk like this.