1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible brake issue

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jackchhicago, Apr 16, 2018.

1. jackchhicago

jackchhicago New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello all,

Looking for a bit of advice on what seems to be a break issue. While driving today my car started beeping and I had these warning lights come on dash as displayed in the picture. After a few more seconds of driving they have not come back on. Have driven about 10 mins 2 miles or so since that. I called dealership and they said as long as the breaks do not feel “soft” then it should be safe to drive still. I do not have time to take it to a dealership until wednesday so I am just wondering if anyone can give me any information that it could be. Dealership said it could be some sensors in a failing state.

Much appreciated,
    Jack

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be the brake actuator. hard to say without reading the trouble codes. how many miles on her?

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    ... which isn't hard to do. If you don't have a reading tool for it, a short skinny wire and some counting of light blinks is all you need (many threads here to search up for specfics).

With the codes, we can say more.

The high beeeeping sound does indicate the issue will be one of the less-ignorable ones, so drive cautiously. You could find yourself without brake assist at some moment, which is not the same as being without brakes, but don't let it surprise you. Loss of assist won't make the pedal feel soft, but really hard and you'll have to stand on it to slow the car down. (Other possible issues could make the pedal soft.)

-Chap