1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible dead beattery?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by renzo813, Nov 24, 2018.

1. renzo813

renzo813 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have a 2002 prius and when i turn my ignition lock cylinder to the on position. The display screen starts to twitch and everything starts to die. But then when i turn the engine on everything is fine. Any help? The 12v aux battery isnt even a year old.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    hard to say without testing. do you have a volt meter?

3. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    I'd 2nd that you need to check the voltage of the 12v auxiliary battery before and after start. Sounds like the alternator is boosting the voltage up to make your ancillaries work okay. So your year old battery either needs a good charge or its shot.

4. renzo813

renzo813 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I got it checked out at autozone they said that the battery is good and it could be an electrical problem. I'll add that i cleaned snow off my car and threw the brush in the trunk and some snow got. On the battery and the terminals. Since my cousin didnt cover the battery after he jumped his car. Could that have been what caused this?

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    na.
    could be your cousin jumping it improperly though

6. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    what do you mean by "everything starts to die"? My main screen on my 2003 does not like the cold and will stay blank until it warms up. Sometimes I have to restart the car to get it to display a picture even after its warmed up. And many times it will "twitch" until it is warmed up.

7. renzo813

renzo813 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    The screen starts to twitch and all the lights just dim out until theyre off. Then i cant start the car.

8. FireFighterHill

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hmm, im at a lose for that one. How did autozone check the battery? It has to be put under some kind of load. Try connecting another battery to your prius with jumper cables and see if it still does it. If it does than its not the battery.

9. dabard051

dabard051 Tinkerer-in-Charge

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps not the battery, but the battery connections. Inspect them for corrosion, and make sure they are tight and well-connected to the battery posts. Voltage measurements are VERY helpful analysis tools here. From your symptoms, it sounds like you have a poor connection between a healthy battery and the car electrical system. There is an old-fashioned battery terminal cleaner tool (cylindrical steel bristle brush) available at most car parts stores... this is a classic problem which shows up at the onset of cold weather/winter in many parts of the country. Good luck!

10. renzo813

renzo813 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ok thanks a lot ill give these a try and get back to you. And yea it started happening during a snow storm (go figure)