1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible Engine Mount Issue?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PriuSocal, Apr 11, 2023.

1. PriuSocal

PriuSocal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been experiencing a slight engine shake, especially at cold startup and when the engine shuts off during stops. I can literally feel the engine shutting down as the jerk is noticeable. Also, while driving the car has a feeling as if the engine was somewhat loose, don't know how to explain it, kind of like when a boat is in the water, you can feel the waves preventing the boat from a steady speed...it then speeds up then sorta slows down (that's the best way I can explain it).

My first instinct was going to be a bad torque strut mount that goes underneath the engine and holds it to the chassis. I saw multiple videos on symptoms when these go bad and that is exactly how the car feels. So, I removed it and to my surprise, it was in fairly good shape, no damage other than the normal wear on both rubber bushings. I do notice that I can wiggle the engine significantly with the mount on and obviously even more without it, could this simply be a design flaw or even with normal wear, the rubber's strength is weakened and thus causes this issue?

I was almost positive it was going to be the torque mount but now I'm stumped as I checked the right and left mounts and they also look in good condition.

Any suggestions?

2. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't go by how they look. The fact you can move the engine significantly says to me the bush has failed.

Change one mount and see what difference that makes, if it is back to normal, do the others if necessary.

3. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How much measured wiggle for either, and what tool are you using to create the wiggle?
    Given that those mounts are pricey, fully clean the existing old mount(s), tape off one side, fill in the voids with a quality silicon product, then be sure to let it cure long enough. This may or not fix the wiggle, but it won't cost an arm and a leg, just some more down time.

PriuSocal likes this.
  4. PriuSocal

PriuSocal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If I remove the bottom torque mount, there's alot of wiggle about 1-2 inches of play but with it on, I can budge it with my own strength. I am used to engines that don't move at arms strength so this is why this catches me as odd and not sure if normal with these priuses. After spark plug replacement and injector cleaning, the car runs much smoother and doesnt shake as much at cold startup but I can still notice it slightly.

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds normal, but I don't wiggle engines all that much. Try the silicon and see if it changes, then report back here.
    Reminded me of this oil jockey trying to remove a gen3 plastic oil housing once, the car was on the lift, there he was (280lbs) nearly swinging from a breaker bar, and the engine was shifting at least an inch or two from his weight pulling on it.

6. PriuSocal

PriuSocal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A