1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible Four Touring Purchase... help!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by PriusGuy32, Jun 11, 2019.

1. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looking at a 2016 Four Touring, new tires, 50k miles for $17k in my local area.

Questions:
    * Is it normal for the lane departure option to be barely noticeable when you leave a lane? On my other vehicle (a GM product) it is very obvious when it nudges you back in your lane.
    * Is the wireless phone charging pad fickle? My phone would start charging but stop several times.
    * Based on the pics I have posted, does this car have EVERY single option for its level, aside from the advanced obnoxious huge touch screen? The dealer said it has just about everything it could have, and I want to verify.
    * Anything I should check for before buying? It drove great, sounds/looks great.
    * This would be my 4th Prius. I'm no newbie. I am just not familiar with the newest Gen and any common issues to its platform.

Thank you!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 PriusGuy32, Jun 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    * Is it normal for the lane departure option to be barely noticeable when you leave a lane? On my other vehicle (a GM product) it is very obvious when it nudges you back in your lane.
    YES - IT IS MORE OF A SUGGESTION THAN AN ASSIST.
    * Is the wireless phone charging pad fickle? My phone would start charging but stop several times.
    YES - MOST OF THE TIME IT "HOLDS" A CHARGE RATHER THAN CHARGING THE PHONE.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As @krmcg said, Lane Departure is an ALERT - with some assist. Some cars are more intent on assisting than others - and manufacturers are still a bit divided with how they work.

It's called:
    upload_2019-6-12_8-20-45.png

If they try to steer you back into a lane everytime you go to change lanes on a deserted road and neglect your indicator, that annoys some people - other people are more compliant with using indicators and really love the lane assist for when they go to sleep at the wheel. OK - opposite extremes, but the manufacturer is caught in the middle.

The sensitivity can be adjusted - but not the degree of assist:
    upload_2019-6-12_8-22-46.png

Sorry - with the phone charger - my antique phone doesn't have that function. But there has been some discussion on this. I think the previous discussion mentioned that it needs to be centred on the panel, and some larger phones didn't work well as they didn't fit properly. You could search PriusChat and probably find the discussions.

krmcg likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    1. Yes. It’s a departure warning/alert with some assist to nudge you back. (Sometimes it judges you back without an alert or stiffens up the wheel in the “wrong” direction so you steer back to centre).
    2. It can be. I’ve had my phone slide around and lose the charging option.
    3. Looks like a loaded 2016. PCP was the only option for the Touring trim level. Also, the 11.6” Full HD screen was only available from 2018 onwards.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  5. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you, everybody who commented.

Am I crazy for trading in my 2013 Volt (also fully loaded) with 102,000 miles? My logic is I do not trust GM quality past the warranty period, plus I spotted rust starting on the hatch already! Long term ownership is too much of a crap shoot. I have NEVER had any problems with any of my Prius, and currently have a 2007 with 213,000 miles that drives like new still.

The 2016 Prius drives so much nicer than my Volt. I couldnt end the test drive today, lol. I was so impressed with the comfort, quietness of the ICE, the smooth ride, and oh my god - the 10 speaker stereo was phenomenal!! I have had JBL systems on every Prius except for my 2012, and BOSE on my Volt, the 2016 Four Touring's stereo blows them all away. Very, very impressed.

krmcg likes this.
  6. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess - time comes to flip a coin. 50k miles is ½ what your VOLT has already. With your VOLT, do you plug it in? If that's your primary mode of powering it, it could be cheaper to run a VOLT. Also depends on how much you can negotiate the price down (and the trade-in up).

Is there a GM VOLT Forum - to ask for their advice. We didn't have many come here, and they've had a good reputation, but I'm not sure about at higher kilometers.

Take a big piece of paper, draw a line down the middle, head each side with "+" and "-". Write all the pros and cons.

Then flip your coin :rolleyes:.

7. PriusGuy32

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you for the reply!
    I am not prioritizing cost per mile in this decision; I am considering the long term reliability, and after having owned 3 Pri, I already know the answer there :cool:

I do plug in my Volt, and use the car to commute to work daily (12 miles each way/24 miles round trip + errands on my lunch hour). I drive 30-75 miles every day, always on all-electric. That's nice that it is saving me money now, but it IS a 6, going on 7 year old GM product, and over on the Volt owners FB page, and Volt forums, I am woefully aware of the battery failures and out-of-warranty repair$ cost, which are considerably higher than our Priuses.

Tl;dr - I want to get rid of the Volt before it starts costing me repair $$. And Im convinced it WILL.

alanclarkeau likes this.