1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Possible future vice president J. D. Vance introduces bill to promote gas-powered vehicles

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Gokhan, Jul 16, 2024 at 11:25 PM.

1. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Let's see. A 2007 Camry started at $20k, and the 2016 was at $23k. Not $3800, but close. In addition to better fuel economy, the 2016 also has better safety features, and likely more standard features on the base trim. Then we adjust for inflation, and see the model's price hasn't actually changed over that time period.

So the Heritage Foundation report is way off. They probably conflated the cost of a hybrid system as a requirement for the regulations, when it wasn't. That would increase prices as they predict, but a hybrid improves fuel economy enough that the higher price would most likely be covered by lower fuel prices over a typical ownership period.

If HF was really concerned about affordability of goods for the typical American, they would be pushing policies to address wage stagnation, but they don't.

The MSRP of the 150 mile one now starts under $29k. Your Bolt was a better deal.

When they came out, they were over $33k. Adjust for inflation, and that is around the price of a Model Y or bZ4X. I don't know when it moved into the inexpensive range for a BEV, but the Bolt and others were also on the market by then.

If the rich don't buy a new EV, then there won't be used ones for the poor.

3PriusMike likes this.
  2. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's what I meant, but I don't think that came across, so thanks for the clarification.

Trollbait likes this.