1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible Gen3 Prius Transaxle Failure at 70,600 miles :(

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by GrumpyCabbie, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Agent J

Agent J Hypoliterian

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I see.. that's really unfair of Toyota UK if that's the case. Might be a case for the consumer protection agency to look at if you inquire. Did you notice a drop in mileage the last 2 months?

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I guess they can offer whatever warranty they want. They only reduced it when new, so I knew it had the lower warranty when I purchased the car. I wasn't reconning on them increasing the warranty for new cars 12 months later. This has been an issue on the UK Toyota forums and it appears Toyota UK reduced costs (such as warranty) to reduce the purchase price to compete with the then released Honda Insight.

3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    GC you may still be able to go down the sale of goods rout if Toyota do not pay up.

This would mean suing the dealer as your contract is with them under UK law as I'm sure you know. The car was obviously not of merchantable quality considering the price paid.

Know one would expect a major breakdown in 3 years and 70,000 miles, thirty years ago yes but not today. All this is speculation though until you know what is wrong and if Toyota will play ball.

For those in the US the UK/EU law does not allow a supplier of goods to offer a guaranty that is unfair. The buyers contract is with the seller of the goods (in this case the dealer) not the manufacturer (Toyota). The manufacturers guaranty does not affect your rights under this law.

Good luck again. John (Britprius).

4. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have every confidence in Toyota at this stage :)

but I also believe in using the best lawyer you can't really afford too :)

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I know the feeling but small claims court would be the way to go. They seem to favor the purchaser unless the claim is plainly wrong.

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The other alternative if all else fails is a second hand inverter "if that's where the problem is". There is a couple of 2011's being broken on Ebay.

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  7. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm dying to find out what the problem is

8. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There is a reason for the silence. I'm hoping to have a very positive response on Wednesday, but I'm not saying anything until the issue is fully resolved.

Patience :)

9. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Best of luck. Please advise what the root cause of the failure was.

telmo744 likes this.
  10. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    If Toyota fails to cover this failure under their warranty, they will have made a huge mistake. Your contribution to priuschat has been instrumental to the popularity of Prius and is arguably responsible for at least a few new car sales. I hope your support and patience are rewarded.

11. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here is praying for a good outcome!

GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  12. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Here is another prayer.

OceanEyes and GrumpyCabbie like this.
  13. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Any news yet Grumps ?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best gc!

15. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yep, just picking it up in 30 mins so I've not driven it yet but I'm trusting they've sorted it all out. When I popped round earlier to pay, my car was sat out front all washed and shiny.

It WAS the inverter. Toyota have replaced that part for free, but I have had to pay for their labour charges. As I'm 10,000 miles and 3 months out of warranty, I'm happy with that.

The whole issue has been handled in a very friendly and efficient manner but could have been so different. Not only did my car break down, but my recovery subscription had expired in October too!?!? :eek: But Toyota recovery were more than helpful and understanding and seeing it was an oversight on my behalf, sent a flat bed recovery agent to pick me up. Their recovery guy was friendly and efficient (if a little down to earth -in a good way) and sorted me out, dropping the car off at my local Toyota dealership. Despite not having renewed my recovery, I didn't have anything to pay at this stage; just a verbal confirmation that I'd renew my recovery/breakdown cover later.

Car was diagnosed and fault found, part ordered and then fitted today. Usual efficient Toyota service from my local dealers and (assuming all is well when I collect my car later) one happy customer. This is how you gain brand loyalty. Perhaps other manufacturers could take note.

So yes I was a little worried this could have turned out expensive for me, but Toyota noted my loyalty in the past and sorted me out. This is how good service should be. (y)

Well pleased.

mmurphy, OceanEyes, sfv41901 and 7 others like this.
  16. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Congratulations! Do you or Toyota have any ideas about why the inverter failed (how such failure can be avoided)?

17. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Didn't ask as the guy dealing with the repair had gone home early. I wonder if it was the taxi use that quickened its demise; continual charge/discharge switching in the tight city streets. Was the gen3 inverter the same as the gen2's?

18. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Congratulations on a good out come. The gen2 and gen3 inverters are different, the gen3 operates at a higher voltage and some of the other ECU's have been built into it.

John (Britprius)

19. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm noticing that it takes awhile for the inverter and MG1/MG2 to warm up but once it does it stays hot. Stop and go low speed driving will make things worse because of the lack of airflow through the front grille to cool things down. Sitting still may make this issue worse. I could see how Taxi use could add extra strain on the system compared to short city/urban trips or longer highway/extra urban trips.

20. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just picked the ol' girl up. Drives a treat and seems more responsive. :)

OceanEyes likes this.