1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible harness-damage problem for 04-06 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ScottY, Aug 28, 2006.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Mayby I'm naive, but there seems to be a bit of an undue furor developing over this.

This said, I'd like it noted that I pinned the topic so others can see it, so maybe I'm partly responsible for the furor. I do think it's an important issue to keep an eye on in the future.

But, despite the proximity of the 'tab' to the cable bundles nearby and the "potential" risk of damage AFAIK there has not been a single report of damage due to this issue.

It could be that Toyota has looked at this and determined that the clearance b/w the cables and the tab in the car is adequate and won't be likely to cause damage in enough cars to justify a recall or TSB.

I think it is reasonable that folks that have their undies in a knot over it can go ahead and switch the plate around on their own, but it's not reasonable to panic about it. Ask your Prius Tech to take a look next time you go in. Maybe it'll result in a phone call to California, maybe they'll make a case number of it, maybe that'll get someone's attention and eventually they'll decide there are enough cars involved and that there's enough risk potential to justify a broader scale system to address it.

2. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 25 2006, 08:24 AM) [snapback]324595[/snapback]</div>
    I'm probably going to fix this myself when I have some time. Having been in "wiring harness hell" with a few cars, I'd much rather do something to address this for just my peace of mind if nothing else.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    let's say DH has seen a couple of harnesses that have had the outside wrapping gouged from this now, and he hasn't been looking all that long or in every car he gets.

he's changing ours at our next oil change in about 500 mi. it's not urgent but in the long term the potential is there.

4. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Sep 25 2006, 09:27 AM) [snapback]324643[/snapback]</div>
    Has he any mechanism for documenting/reporting this issue to get the attention of the 'powers that be' at Toyota?

I think it's valuable to this thread to have some documentation of actual wear/problems from the tab.

5. ScottY

ScottY New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Sep 25 2006, 08:24 AM) [snapback]324595[/snapback]</div>
    Doc, according to hobbit's website, he got independent confirmation that this HAS and CAN cause problem on Gen II Prii. But he didn't say if the independent confirmation is from Toyota.
    I also remember reading that a member (dont remember who now) said the wire harness on his 04 is wearing out and he will have the plate fix when he goes in for maintenance.

I don't want to sound like the sky is falling because of this issue, but this could be a potential problem over time.

6. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    well next time he's talking to tech assist he's planning on bringing it up. thing is he ends up juggling so much in a day that he forgets.

anyway i recall hobbit mentioning something about how this has already caused problems in a prius up near him, i'd assume the dealership up there reported it.

i mentioned above that DH only has access to the southeast toyota version of tech assist, not the national folks. so ya really can't tell what'll happen.

7. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, good to know. Likewise, I think I just want to temper the discussion just a bit as it did seem to be progressing into the 'sky is falling' area. I'm gonna check mine eventually. I think we need to be proponents of having the issue carefully looked at by Toyota. And I think we each, individually, need to be proactive about checking our own Prius to make sure there is no damage or wear and to consider switching the plate around if we're uncomfortable about the potential for damage.

I just don't want folks running to the dealer freaked out about it when the scope and severity of the problem hasn't been fully determined.

8. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    good call, i agree. one bad thing about this type of group is that people do tend to freak out excessively over things.

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I was going to reply to this "problem" that I went and checked the 2k4 and yes the plate was on backwards but if you look at the harness there is a plastic sleeve under the tape where it "hits" the plate and it's a toss up which is worse the edge of the plate or the really sharpe edge of the casting where it's been machined flat. Fastest fix for this is to just grab the harness and bend it to a V in front of the plate edge and you'll be surprised at the inch of clearance that you get. I really think that this is over blown.

10. SoopahMan

SoopahMan Member

I'm not trying to take a "sky is falling" attitude to this, I'm trying to motivate people to get to Toyota so that this becomes a TSB - so they stop installing the part wrong in the first place, and so what small percentage of us are affected by it don't end up with a broken car out of warranty. If you know how to prevent a problem... prevent it. Especially if it could be expensive.

Every one of us that puts it off or fixes it ourselves is one less person doing what needs to be done: Getting Toyota to stop installing this part wrong. It basically defers the problem to everyone else.

Personally I'm not very good with cars so fixing this myself isn't very likely - and I think I'm in the majority that way. I appreciate the work of those who have noticed it and documented it - you've done your part - the rest of us need to do our part by bringing this into Toyota.

1 person likes this.
  11. Bob Addison

Bob Addison New Member

I'm a new Prious owner who's been following this thread for about a month. I had checked my car and found that the plate was installed incorrectly on my '06. When I took my car in for the 1000 mile oil change last Monday, I asked them to install the plate correctly and gave them the photos that Hobbit had posted. There was no problem or questions from them. The dealer was DCH Toyota of Oxnard (CA). They seemed to be more concerned that I was asking them to put higher pressure in the tires (42/40)!

12. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Toyota San Diego fixed mine with no questions asked (I had brought a copy of hobbit's pictures with me). My sister in Virginia took her car to the dealership in Manassas, and they wanted someone higher up to take a look at the situation and approve the work being done. I e-mailed my sister a link to hobbit's site, and they fixed hers after reviewing his pics. Both of our cars were built in 2/04. I hope Toyota has started telling their guys in the factory to put this thing on correctly!!!

13. SoopahMan

SoopahMan Member

Thanks both for doing your part!

RapidRobert, Oxnard is actually reasonable for me to get to - how much did they charge you total after fixing the plate issue and filling up your tires, if you don't mind me asking?

14. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Sep 25 2006, 05:15 AM) [snapback]324590[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not in any hurry at all, I fixed mine the day after I made that post. However, I was thinking that most Prius owners won't be able to do that. The potential problem needs to be fixed before it causes a short circuit not when or if the Toyota management people finally decide they want to. Management, both in private industry and government have caused, or failed to prevent, a lot of serious problems because they would rather save a few pennies than fix things before they fail catastrophically.

I am happy to hear that some dealers are responding to this issue. As others have pointed out it may never cause a problem but if it is easy to fix, why not fix it? It can be done in a few extra minutes during an oil change.

15. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No the sky isn't falling, and kudos to the good Doctor for applying
    perspective. One thing that people sometimes tend to sieze upon is
    the idea that Toyota blew it somehow. The plate actually *is* an
    asymmetric part that if viewed with respect to the hole it's supposed
    to cover, has one obvious way to go on where the dimple matches the
    hole and the bolts line up and the metal tab in question more or less
    conforms to a piece of the block up top.
    The other bit of perspective is that there *is* a fairly hefty piece
    of plastic split-loom harness cover over the wiring under the tape,
    and even if the harness was *pressing* on the tab it would take a
    while for a cut to progress in far enough to hit bare resolver-harness
    wiring. Where the harness sits varies a bit car to car, depending
    on how those standoff supports are bent -- sometimes it's in contact
    and has a slight gouge into the tape on ones I've checked, and
    sometimes it's just barely clear of the tab. What I'm only trying
    to bring to light is that there's a *possibility* that long-term
    vibration in cases where the harness happens to be closer to the
    tab might have the problem. The Prius I was told had succumbed to
    this probably had one of the standoff tabs bent in a way that made
    even more pressure. And the main point is that it *is* easy to fix
    yourself -- just like killing the reverse beep, turning the rearview
    mirror upside down, airing up the tires right, installing a BT plate,
    pulling the trim rings, or any of those other relatively little
    things we all do to eliminate annoyances and increase safety/
    reliability in our own cars. You'd be doing this sort of stuff to
    any other car too, I imagine.
    I'll also point out that if you know where to put your hand, you
    can *feel* for the existence of the tab without having to see it.
    That's how I've been checking other peoples' cars. At that point
    I can also pull on the harness a little to help bend it away, in
    case the owner isn't interested in flipping the plate.
    _H*

16. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Oct 1 2006, 09:14 AM) [snapback]326471[/snapback]</div>
    I just told my wife that I was heading out to feel under the Prius. She now forbids me to visit the garage alone. :eek:

17. Bob Addison

Bob Addison New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SoopahMan @ Oct 1 2006, 04:57 AM) [snapback]326415[/snapback]</div>
    I took the car in for the 1K oil change, which was free along with the other items such as installing plate correctly and inflating tires.

18. galaxee

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Claudia @ Sep 24 2006, 11:58 PM) [snapback]324523[/snapback]</div>
    claudia-

DH can do the repair job in his bay in about 15 min. including all the check in processes and return processes, shouldn't take even an whole hour if you've got an appointment. send me a PM if you're planning on doing this and i'll send you the phone number and who to ask for when you make the appointment.

19. hchu1

hchu1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    After reading this thread I had to go out and check my '06 that I got in June. Yep, plate is incorrectly positioned. You can look down from the top of the engine compartment and see the plate. My wire bundle was situated about 1/4" away from the tab. The tab is somewhat sharp with burrs and probably would do some harm if contacted.

The wire bundle is pretty stiff, if it's not in direct contact there shouldn't be any worry. If others want to correct the problem by putting the plate correctly, you will have to take the air dam off. You may have to jack up the front end to get better clearance and leverage. I, on the other hand, took the easy way out. I had a piece of 3/4"x3" vacuum hose and just slit one side and slipped it over the wire bundle, used a tie-wrap to secure. I'll check from time to time for any problems, but leaving it this way I could at least add my Prius to those with this problem and notify Toyota. So, when they want to send out a TSB I'll be ready.

20. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Avid @ Oct 1 2006, 10:51 PM) [snapback]326744[/snapback]</div>
    Good thinking! You did all this from under the hood? Or crawl under the car. I'm serious that my wife still won't let me out there alone...