1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible Hybrid Battery? Maybe something else? Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Hollender, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Hollender

Hollender New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So lets start this off by saying I replaced the 12 volt battery about 7 months ago. It is brand new and has a charge. This is my current situation. Miles on 2004 Prius - 170,000
    About 1 month ago I ran over a deer but sustained no damage (from what I could tell). Car was driving fine for a month. Two days ago I was driving and out of nowhere I noticed the car lose alittle bit of power and the Red Triangle, Check engine, VSC lights all popped on. I also noticed a sound like something was rolling around under my hood. I drove it home without a problem. Yesterday I went to my buddys house and tried looking underneath to see if I saw anything and nothing no problems. (The sound of something rolling was gone now) I tried to hook up his code reader but he grabbed the wrong reader. I headed home and as I was about 500ft away, I could not get the car to go above 20mph. Did not want to go. I also notice the hybrid battery blower is on non stop. I limped home and thats where she sits today. Is there a fuse I could be missing that might of gotten messed up? Maybe a underbody wire harness? Inverter? Hybrid Battery? Trying to get a idea before I take it somewhere. I do not want them screwing me by fixing stuff that is not needed. The car is in great condition and everything works. I was getting almost 50mpg before and now im at like 37mpg. (probably less since car wont go above 20mph) ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!! THANK YOU!

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The battery fan is a clue that you have a hybrid battery problem. Reduced fuel efficiency is another. Age and mileage another. The accident and engine compartment noise do not fit in with that, sorry.

3. Hollender

Hollender New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ok, I was leaning on buying a new hybrid battery but would rather get alittle more advice before I sink all the money into that. I see people offering them for 800$ installed but it would suck if I replace it and it doesnt fix the issue. Thanks for the fast response! I guess ill try and get the codes and if it still points to it, ill replace the battery. Thank you!

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    sounds like Batt but another issue that lights up the lights is Brake Actuator which is extended on coverage. Can't recall if 2004 has the actuator issue.
    https://priuschat.com/posts/2353425/

You can always try to ask Toyota USA for Goodwill warranty assist on Battery, chances iffy but we've been surprised before and NJ is CARB so sometime CARB states get more favor.
    https://priuschat.com/posts/2507664/

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    before making a large investment, you would be wise to invest in the proper code reader.

also, before investing in an $800. battery, you would be wise to do your due diligence on rebuilt batteries and the particular company you plan to buy from.

all the best!(y)

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It also would suck if the $800 worked for only 6 months then you have to do it all over again, because the replacement battery failed. Slightly less impacting if you have a warranty from the seller, but will still cost you money (for freight), time and inconvenience having to do this over and over again.

Do your research here (on PC) of people that have gone down this route and had to give up after the third (or more) warranty replacement, or, the ones who need to call on the warranty and the seller is nowhere to be found. Taking the cheap option usually works out more expensive in the long run. The only cheap option I'd consider is DIY, if you're up for it, but a steep learning curve. All the information you need is here on PC.

#6 dolj, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    give falcon battery a call, i hear they have a new ceo.

8. Hollender

Hollender New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looked into falcon battery. They had alot of bad reviews. I am trying Greentec Auto. They are coming out today. I ended up paying 1500 total and it comes with a 2 year warranty.

bisco likes this.
  9. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    WOW! Warning lights, unusual sounds from the engine bay. Well then, what do you consider "driving with a problem" to be? LOL

It's possible you could have damage some parts of the cooling systems in the deer impact. That could lead to inverter overheating. Getting the trouble codes (warning lights) read with a proper reader would help tremendously.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    please keep us posted, all the best!(y)

11. Hollender

Hollender New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The guy who came out was very friendly and knowledgable. The reader gave speed sensor codes for both front wheels and hybrid system failure. The battery was changed out and he cleaned out the blower system too! Car seems to be running like normal again with no codes/check engine lights. Hopefully now they stay off! Thanks everyone for the information! I read around and was uncertain about how to handle everything.