1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible new gen 2 prius owner looking to see what y'all think

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Usmc0331, Jul 22, 2010.

1. Usmc0331

Usmc0331 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi I'm new to prii and I'm looking at getting a new to me prius. It's a certified 2007 prius with a back up camera sorry dont know what package but i know its just got the camera no jbl or bluetooth or nav and 42000 miles. It's got a great carfax 1 owner all maintenance done at the same dealer I'm buying for $14642. What do y'all think thanks in advance.

2. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat! It sounds like a good car. I don't know about the price. You may check cars.com, edmunds.com, truecar.come, kbb.com etc. and also look at local dealer websites. Good luck! :)

3. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    W/o nav and JBL, it was a package 2 in 2008, likely that in '07 also.

Pretty sneaky how just about all Toyota dealer certified sellers do not list the package. They list options, but not package. :rolleyes:

If you happen to be very tall, beware of Gen2 Prius.

I'll be losing my A** within a couple years selling my '09 (paid for) to upgrade to the 3rd Gen Prius which has a proper driver's seating for tall folks.

4. jstraw20

jstraw20 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

If it helps your decision making, I recently paid $14900 for a certified '07 with package #5 and 48000 miles.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds reasonable. i would look around a little and check kbb to get a feel for the price. all the best!:)

6. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    it's good. when you get it though just tint it, up size the rims, and drop that sucka.

7. Villain

Villain New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought an '06 a few months ago (in Raleigh, NC) that has leather/backup camera/no nav or bluetooth with 75K miles for 14K at a dealer. I was able to bargain to get slightly below the NADA blue book value for the area because I paid cash. Both the dealer and I knew exactly what the blue bok values were for sevral of the vehicles on his lot that I was looking at, so it paid to do my homework.

Check the NADA and Kelly Blue Book values for your area to see what it should be worth, and go from there:) Overall, it sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

8. Ophbalance

Ophbalance Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Couldn't have been Jacobson then... those buggers were selling 06-08 models with just shy of 50k miles on them last year at the same price as a base 2010. At one point, I asked a salesman why I should buy his base 07 with 47k miles on it for 22950 (includes tax/title/tags) when I could go a bit further south and pick up a fully loaded 05 with 32k miles for 16900 t/t/t?? His answer? "I'd buy that other car sir, as we cannot possibly match it".

9. jmbramblett

jmbramblett Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought the 2008 with 22,000 miles a few months - has everything but leather for $15900. I would definitely look at blue book value. It has been a great purchase- it's a great car and fun to drive not to mention the wonderful gas mileage.

10. PaulRivers

PaulRivers Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just be sure you ride in it before you buy it - and like Cycledrum said, be careful if you're a taller driver. You should know that -

1. None of the Gen II Prius's come with a height adjustable seat

2. If you're tall, the seat is usually to high - you still have enough headroom, but the rearview mirror ends up right between your eyes and the intersection to your right. You can adjust the mirror height somewhat. You also cannot see (if you're tall) the higher stoplights at the intersection (like the left turn signal) if you're in the front of the line. I also find the foam in the seat rather poorly shaped for someone taller.

Now to be fair, I've known at least one shorter person (5"6?) who found everything in the car extremely comfy. There are many people who find it very comfortable. But there's quite a few of us who don't - I can't say which group you would be in over the internet. :)

3. All later version of the Gen II Prius come with a backup camera. I've found it useful for parallel parking. From my experience and experience on test drives, most of the other options aren't worthwhile really. Nav system won't let you change your destination or do anything with it other than follow your currently programmed route while the car is moving. The JBL sound system is an underwhelming "upgrade" over the stock one. I don't know about bluetooth. The leather seats are exactly the same as the cloth seats, just covered in leather (in other vehicles they're sometimes nicer seats overall).

Like I said, the big thing is just making sure you'll be comfortable in the seat before buying it.

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    https://priuschat.com/forums/knowle...andard-optional-equipment-some-countries.html should help the OP.
    Your statement on the backup camera is untrue. A former coworker bought a used 07 or 08 and it was VERY stripped down: had the old LCD, no backup camera and no SKS.

Your statement on the nav system is incorrect as well. Yes, the screen is locked out but you can do # of things via voice recognition such as entering a new destination address, zooming in/out, changing the navigation display mode, and going to one of your memory points.

12. PaulRivers

PaulRivers Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, is it also lacking that "hide the stuff in the trunk" bar in the back? I forgot that they sold a super stripped-down version of the Prius for a while that lacked some of the basics. All the other models have a backup camera, though.

So you can change stuff on the nav system by voice command, but the screen is locked out? I don't have nav so I cannot say what does and doesn't work, I just read a lot about how the screen was locked out when the vehicle was in motion and how annoying that was.

13. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I believe the "hide the stuff in the trunk" bar you're referring to is the tonneau cover. I don't recall if that former coworker's Prius had it, but I think it did.

Yes, you can say address, even while moving and give it an address. You have to say the state, city, street, then house number, in that order and you have to do them each separately, with a button press in between each. I frequently say "suspend guidance" or some POI related command like "go home", "tourist attractions", "fast food" or "POI off".

I'm pretty sure none of the commands at http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...sion/37476-voice-command-list.html#post485759 are locked out while in motion.

14. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    At 6'-5" I've had no overwhelming issues with the Gen II. Realistically, it's how your height is proportioned. Yes, if you're 90% legs / 10% body ... you may either want to move up to a Gen III . . . or return to what ever planet they make aliens like that.
    :p
    That said, we DO have the "extendmyseat" brackets. They allow the seat back to be tilted upright more than before I installed them.

15. UncleNick

UncleNick Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like not to bad, just bought my 09 with 38000, pkg 3 for $15900 otd.