1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible new owner :) Saying hello!

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Infini, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Infini

Infini Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

Been loyal to Toyota for many years on and off since the early 90's and consistently since 06 with a Scion xA and Lexus RX330. Till recently (2010) I just was not very happy with the Prius designs. Way to bland for me but the new generation really sparks my interest. Not that the second gen has not grown on me in certain ways.

I am in very serious debate on selling the RX330 cause it's not a very efficient V6 and I get about 19mpg hwy ($70 a week +) at the moment on the daily. I love the ride and comfort and room and luxury but well you know. So my alternative right now is the second or Third Gen. I am thinking used out of lease still under warranty. Maybe trade in with some money down and would pay off the loan within a year.

With the third gen in mind my questions are about all this II, III, IV. I think the IV is with the Navi but I really can't see any difference in the others accept the JBL system. If there is a Double Din replacement system for this car I would really consider getting one without the built in navi as I am not sure I could afford the IV new or used at this point.

I would really like to get into a third gen. So any help would be appreciated. I might have to bite the bullet and get a second gen with smaller mileage or Honda Insight as they are selling new for $18.5 but want to stay with Toyota as I think their designs are better thought out and streamlined. Especially in the interior.

I did look around and did not find any info but my search might have been bad. If all this is very common info I will search it again.

Thanks all!

2. Infini

Infini Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So through a search I did seem to find there was a DD replacement for the second gen and what I THINK is a third gen. If so that is good news. I am assuming by looking at this that you might not need adapters for the havoc? Or there is another company that seems to sell an entire replacement. But I cannot post links yet :(

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can install a double DIN NAV unit in the 2nd and 3rd Gen cars without much hassle. :)

One option you may want to consider is the SmartKey system. Most of the 2nd Gen cars had the 3 door system whereas it became an option on the higher model Gen3s. On the lower models the SmartKey only worked on the driver's side front door. I rather like having the SmartKey work on the driver's side and passenger side as well as the trunk. It's very useful when grocery shopping or when you are trying to be chivalrous an open the door for a woman. :)

Both 2nd Gen and 3rd Gen cars look MUCH better with 17" wheels so if the looks of the GenII bug you then maybe consider larger wheels. Note that your mpg will decrease by about 4-6mpg if you do so.

4. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Welcome aboard! Follow the A/V upgrade link in my signature to see a double din HU in a GIII.

Good luck with the decision.

5. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The II is the base model. III adds built-in blue tooth and a stereo upgrade. IV adds leather interior, cabin air filter. (III and IV have the option of a moonroof with solar powered fan to keep the car interior cooled with ambient air on hot days). V adds 17" wheels, LED headlights, faster turn ratio steering, headlight washers and the ability to get the advanced tech package.

In some regions, you can get a IV or V without the NAV system (and built in back up camera) In the California region, all package IV an V come with the NAV system/camera.

Prices on used Prius have really come down. My brother was looking at a 2010 package five with 30k miles on it, that had a private sales asking prices of $21,000. That was about $10k less than what that car was sold for brand new.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To further Codyroo's list, the Four adds over the Three (or IV vs. III if you're looking at a 2010),

- leather seat surfaces
    - leather wrapped steering wheel
    - heated front seats
    - power driver's lumbar support
    - plasmacluster ionizer filter
    - auto-dimming mirror w/ Homelink
    - water-repellent front door glass
    - front footwell lighting
    - 3-dr SKS (driver, front pass and hatch)

7. fulltank

fulltank New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a IV and LOVE it! Anyone know what the most common package is?

8. Infini

Infini Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks!! This info really helps.

Codyroo can you tell me where she searched cause at this point all I am seeing is almost retail for that on Carmax and such. If I could get a IV w/30K miles at $21K I would be very happy.

9. Whiteyprius

Whiteyprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Whatever you do, go for it. Gas mileage isn't the only reason to buy a Prius, but it certainly is one. I bought an '08, and have driven it a lot - Now has 94K. I calculated my savings on gas as compared to our former primary vehicle, which was a van that also got 19 mpg, which at this time is more than $9500.00. In other words, I was saving 2/3 of my payment on gas savings. But what I really love is the technology - who else out there has a car that runs optimal rpm's continually with a "transmission" that never shifts and never disengages? Buy and enjoy!

-Phil
    (?)

10. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://web.archive.org/web/20090609.../toyota-announces-prices-for-2010-89249.aspx? should help the OP decipher the permutations of models and packages. Ignore the prices as they're old. Also, ignore that page for the mid-cycle refresh 2012 regular prius.

For 2nd gen, http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...andard-optional-equipment-some-countries.html should help.

I finally got to test drive a 2nd gen Insight (and '12 HCH) a few months ago. I was totally unimpressed w/the Insight. I started w/the '12 HCH first which was way more refined and the salesman even set my expectations for the Insight to be pretty low compared to the HC.

IMHO, you're better off buying a used 3rd gen Prius over a new 2nd gen Insight...

Ouch about 19 mpg highway... on a 2nd gen, assuming you're not a speed demon (and sufficiently long drives), you should see 44+ mpg highway and a bit over 50 if you can keep your speed down. 3rd gen highway mileage is better...

11. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My brother was doing searches on Craigslist. He found some wonderful deals that he didn't jump on (something like a 2005 prius pkg 6 with 30k miles for $15K, a 2010 pkg IV with 6k miles for the low 20's and that pkg V with 35K miles for 21k)

He got a new Chevy Cruze Eco instead. Best of luck to him with that.

12. Infini

Infini Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ic well I have allot of searching to do myself. I think Carmax is mostly a no hassle price site and a bit expensive. But I was able to haggle a good bit for my lexus.

13. Infini

Infini Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I should have a prius within the next few weeks or maybe month if I am able or ready for the transition. Nothing written in stone yet. I have to first go through the process of getting the car to stock after allot of modifications and that might take a while.

14. Infini

Infini Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha took me a while but I finally got one. A 2010 Prius IV, Winter Gray with Navi and stuff I can't name lol. I will post details later. Just wanted to say hi and say i'm happy to be here after a couple of years lol!!!! Been through two Lexus SUV's and here I am.

spiderman likes this.
  15. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Persistance paid off a couple years later :D Welcome to the Prius addiction ;)

Mike

Mobile on my SGH-i717

16. Infini

Infini Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks.

Bahahaha I just got a notice :"You've been registered here for a year, congratulations!" I think it's been allot more but still funny. Ill be starting a new thread when I take pics good enough.

WE0H likes this.
  17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was going to say ... 'who dug up this thread'? But turns out it was you. Congrats.

18. Infini

Infini Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL! Cool thing is I remembered this forum and came right back. Been a secret Prius fan for a long time. I had to do the luxury RX330 than I went V8 Lexus GX470 for a while till I realized $450 a month in gas was just stupid as a new post grad.

19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll be cutting that gas bill in 1/3 or less. I've nitpicked my Prius in more than a few ways, but, wow, no denying how thrifty on gas.

I'm looking forward to next gen Prius and it'll be a thrill if and when someone carbon copies the car. Betting next gen Insight will be first carbon, but who knows (I mean full hybrid Insight, not milquetoast IMA).

20. Infini

Infini Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Insight was a good attempt but fell short in too many ways for me to get. I knew I would not enjoy it as much as the Prius with Navi etc. etc. Too many well designed interior and features over all over the Honda.