1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible new prius owner, looking for suggestions...

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Brad09, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Brad09

Brad09 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone, I am trying to help my mom look for a new (used) car. I'm looking for something that gets good gas mileage and more importantly, is reliable and will last her a long time. We came across a 2012 Prius Plug in hybrid at a local small dealership in town. I have owned toyotas in the past that have been great, but I know absolutely nothing about hybrids, and especially plug in hybrids. Although I will google all of this information, I like getting suggestions from actual owners.

The car has 118,000 miles on it and the condition looks good and drives fine. I don't think currently it is being plugged in and am not sure how long that has been the case. They are asking $10,800 for it. Here are my questions:

1. Any concern about buying one with this many miles? Is this something she could put another 100k on without many issues?

2. KBB shows private party value at $7,931 and dealer price at $9,008. Why is this place asking so much more and what is a reasonable price in your experience?

3. How many more years should the battery last and what does it typically cost to replace?

4. Are there any major mechanical issues these cars have that I need to be aware of and if she buys this what should she look at getting checked or replaced at this point to avoid future issues?

5. Are these cars any harder or more expensive to work on being a plug in hybrid? Can any auto shop handle these or is a dealership going to be required?

I apologize if this info has already been posted. I always have a hard time searching through forums. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. Rob43

Rob43 Senior Member

VA, BMW Race Car, BMW R1200R, BMW 330Ci, Ford F350
    Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Welcome to PriusChat !

Let's instead ask this important question:

What's your Real Budget ? Are we working with ~$10K, ~$15K, or maybe ~$20K ??

A used 2017 Prius Prime Plus (base model) would be your best bet IMO, they're super reliable and get fantastic MPG's. The pictured info and pricing is based on a higher mileage chassis.

Rob43

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 7.44.47 PM - Edited.png

ThatOddMan likes this.
  3. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Unless your Mom is mechanically and electrically "savvy", this would NOT be a good choice, in my opinion.
    You can get a lot "more" Corolla for the same price.

frodoz737 likes this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    +1

A 2012 Prius Plug in with 120,000 miles is just about my IDEAL commuting vehicle because:

1. I have 150,000 miles in type. I KNOW what to look for, and where to look for it.
    2. I would never have to take it to the dealer for service...and can perform all of the maintenance myself.
    3. I can pay for the car in cash, and write a check with a comma in it for any repairs......more than once.
    4. I have other cars.
    5. Breaking down at oh-dark-thirty in BFE for me would probably only be inconvenient.

If your mom's situation is a little different than mine, this might not be “her” perfect car......

I’d get a newer sedan with more active safety features and fewer hybrid components for an older driver......especially in the SE.

YMMV

frodoz737 likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

1) yes, gen3 (2012-2015) are prone to clogged egr circuits and blown head gaskets around 100k. not all, but some. don't try the lottery

2) they ask high, hoping to get book. if they started at book, peeps would offer less.

3) this car has a 'first of it's kind' battery. so far, they have been nearly flawless, but we can't tell you how much longer they will last, since 2012 is the oldest model. if it croaks, the car is basically totaled.

4) see #1egr circuit

5) harder, more expensive, and very few shops know anything about them. even dealers struggle

6) all the best!