1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible Pricing Release

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Tideland Prius, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Jan Treur

Jan Treur Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is always tax on the price of new cars (called BPM), which is included in the pricing. That amount depends on how 'green' the car is, and is lower for a BEV and Plug In than for non Plug In.

Google translate did work for me on the site itself, but not on the price list pdf.

Btw, there is some confusion about Aspiration and Business Plus in the pricing list. I pointed them at this, and they will check it and come back. I assume the price they mention is for the Aspiration, and the Business Plus has a higher price with some added options.

#61 Jan Treur, Jul 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
    Trollbait likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So Business Plus isn't the base model? It seemed like it in the press release.

3. Jan Treur

Jan Treur Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In the price documentation and personal mail they write Aspiration as well, and they see they need to clarify this.

4. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok. Cause that changes things. If there is indeed an Aspiration trim level, that means the PHV starts below the top model of the regular Prius Liftback.

5. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Horrible names. Business Plus, Luxury and Aspiration sound like either hospital plans or airline seating levels, but not automobile trim levels.

Prius Maximus likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but probably traditional, and what non americans are used to. otoh, toyota's package naming in north america has been a complete cluster.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How is it worse than DX, LE, XLE? (which really stood for Deluxe, Luxury and Extra Luxury Edition)

8. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, I can tell without thinking too much that deluxe is the lowest of the three, then luxury is better, and extra luxury is the best.

Business plus to me sounds like a stripped down bare bones work car with no extras for employees to mess with, like when a work truck has crank windows but the boss gets the power windows. Luxury is well, luxurious, I guess, but Aspiration? Is that the middle line because it aspires to be better but isn't? Or is it top of the line because everything else aspires to be like it? Until these names can be explained, they make no sense to me.

9. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Would you like to sit in economy, business or first?

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah but you do realise it piggybacks off the regular Gen 4 lineup.

So it would be Aspiration (you aspire to get one.. therefore it's the base model), Business Plus, Dynamic, Executive. (There are also two special edition models)

Essentially, "Base, company car, Touring, Luxury"

11. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Abbrev. names don't always help. There are too many already being used to confuse potential buyers

(from Wiki)
    CE classic edition, custom edition
    DL deluxe
    DX deluxe
    EX extra
    GL grade level
    GLE grade level extra
    GT gran turismo, grand touring
    L base
    LE luxury edition
    LS luxury sport, luxury special, luxury standard, luxury sedan, luxury saloon
    LT luxury touring
    LTD Limited
    LTZ luxury touring special
    LX luxury
    SE sport edition, special edition
    SL standard level
    SLE standard level extra
    SLT standard level touring
    SV special version
    SWC sans white console
    XLE extra luxury edition
    XLT extra level touring

There have been posts that suggest three Prime trim levels for the US market, at least during the first rollout year. Why not use names that work for North America and have some fun and associated with flair.

From basic to top models
    • Primo Empresa
    • Primo Grande
    • Primo Extremo

bisco and Tideland Prius like this.
  12. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Who's paying?

bisco likes this.
  13. Jan Treur

Jan Treur Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They now have sent the updated information. The only type they announce now is what they call the Business Plus, so no Aspiration. It could be considered the basic version, but still has quite some options under which all safety options; see

http://data.toyota.nl/home/data/ToyotaV8/prijslijsten/pdf_prijslijsten/Prius-plugin.pdf?utm_campaign=toyota-model-launch-2016-8&utm_medium=email&utm_source=copernica&utm_content=prius_plugin_datacapture.

Price is the same as earlier: € 34 495.

#73 Jan Treur, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    Tideland Prius and bisco like this.
  14. Jan Treur

Jan Treur Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For €1500 extra there is the luxury pack with extra:

- Wireless charging of phone depending on brand and type of phone
    - Simple Intelligent Parking Assist (SIPA)
    - JBL Premium audio with 10 speakers
    - Parking sensors front and rear

bisco likes this.
  15. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Toyota Prius Prime Aggressively Priced In Netherlands, Late 2016 Arrival

In this case, the “standard” Prius retails from €29,995 in the Netherlands, making the Prius Prime exactly 15% higher. Hopefully, this premium percentage stays mostly consistent throughout the rest of the world, because quite frankly, that would be a steal.

For example: At 15% mark-up, this would roughly equate to the Prius Prime being offered at $28,000 in the US (the base Prius is $24,200), and in Europe the Prius Plug-In (using the same comparison method) would range from around €29,000 and up depending on the country.

Still a $28,000 MSRP for the US is probably too aggressive/unrealistic. When the 2nd gen Toyota plug-in debuted back in March we suggested that a “starting price-point of $29,990 sounds about right to us“ and today’s pricing announcement in the Netherlands would seem to validate this earlier opinion.

Accounting for the $4,168 federal credit in the US (thanks to the larger 8.8 kWh battery), that would give the Toyota a net price of~$25,700.
    Of course in places like California we can subtract off $1500 from us for the state rebate.

#75 iplug, Aug 2, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
  16. SeattleHawaii

SeattleHawaii Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I read on the Dutch Toyota site the following :
    "....e nieuwste hybride technologie kan de Prius Plug-in Hybrid maximaal 50 kilometer volledig elektrisch rijden..."
    If I read this correctly it says that the Prius Plug-in can drive 50 Km in electric only - this would be 31 miles (not the 22 previously announced). Has this changed? or are they calculating the range differently?

17. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the update, Jan. So the other thread (confirmed pricing) will remain the same.

It's aggressively priced, especially for Europe.

Different country, different testing method. The EPA has one of the most aggressive mileage tests for new vehicles so the EPA mileage is going to be the worst for any similar car tested elsewhere in the world. Japan seems to have one of the most lenient.

For example, the Prius is rated at 56mpg in the city in the US, 78mpg in the UK and 88mpg in Japan. It's the same car.

Likewise, the Prime is rated at 22 miles in the US, 31 miles in Europe and "over 37.5 miles" in Japan.

18. SeattleHawaii

SeattleHawaii Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

Thanks - wow that's indeed quite the difference - so...how would you ever get 88 mpg unless you're going downhill - are miles in Japan shorter than in the US???...I consider myself pretty good playing the mileage game, but rarely get more than 65mpg on my way home from work (12 miles) more or less flat/freeway driving.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pretty sure 30k is the suggested price here for the base prime. didn't someone say 'similar to pip pricing'?
    of course, what features and options will be important. after all, you're giving up a seat and hatch size compared to lift back.

20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Distance is measured in the same way in Japan. Maybe there's no hard acceleration (or the acceleration is shorter than the EPA) and there's no A/C usage taken into account. Highway speed is lower too. Canada used to have similar numbers to Europe (and pre-2008 EPA testing). Called the "2-Mode", the top speed on the highway was 50mph (that's top speed, not average... I think top speed was held for maybe 10 seconds?). Average speed was closer to 25-34mph. The new "5-mode" takes the speed up to 60mph and average speed of 49mph.

Here's NRC (Canada)'s testing method. It's similar to the EPA's 5-cycle test

5-cycle Testing | Natural Resources Canada

Here's the old 2-cycle test for comparison

2-cycle Testing | Natural Resources Canada

I've gotten as low as 60mpg (3.9L/100km) on the 2005 Prius over the entire tank but it takes really careful driving. On my 2010, the best I've done is 58mpg over a tank but it's been living in a harsher climate (read: much colder) than the 2005. Its average mpg over the lifetime is the same as the 2005. Not bad all things considering.

The Gen 4 is easily beating the other two at "normal" driving. If I did the same route for the entire tank as I did in the Gen 2, I'm sure I can hit 70mpg or higher.

Yeah $30k sounds about right.

bisco likes this.