1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible Pricing Release

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Tideland Prius, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The thing is, I can get a hatchback with cloth seats and an HUD - Three + ATP. I should be able to do the same in a Three Prime than I can do in a Three HB - or better.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok. Don't buy one then.

The Prime is now considered a different vehicle (You can see how Toyota both Japan and US have compared the differences to the previous PiP rather than compare it to the Gen 4. That might've been the source of confusion for some media articles when they were qupt

KrPtNk likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    look, i agree with you. toyota has gone off the tracks as far as i'm concerned. but what can you do? i'm looking at other mfg.'s for my next vehicle. reliability is great, but i'm not driving a car i don't want for that.

4. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You guys were right - HUD only in the top model with the lousy seats. So, if I get the top model with the technology I want, I'd have to get seat covers to cover the expensive seats I paid extra for, but don't want.

Bummer.

5. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yup, my biggest gripe with toyota is the limited choices in packages/options. They really need a little more flexibility in giving us choices. Or we might all start choosing another manufacturer.

6. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Unfortunately, no other manufacturer makes a car that I'm even remotely interested in.

7. Prius Maximus

Prius Maximus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, me too, but Toyota DOES read this board, so maybe they'll start listening. Not likely, but Hey, I'm a Cubs and Bears fan, I have nothing but hope...

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    a better deal might be to trade your seats with a plus owner.

Prius Maximus likes this.
  9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I guess if enough people desire it, they may make a package change for the midlife update.

10. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I recall reading that Japanese automakers don't like the "a la carte" method of picking and choosing various options. Basically they make various trims, with each one having certain things on it, and if you want something specific, you'll have to buy the trim that has it. So tough luck if you wanted a base trim, but the sunroof you want is only available on the top trim for a few thousand dollars extra.

The reason is to standardize the cars somewhat, and make it easier to design and supply parts for later. So if you buy a used Prius three trim, it'll likely have all the same stuff that any other three trim has, assuming the previous owner didn't add their own mods to it.

My nephew's 2014 Honda Civic EX had a sunroof, camera on the right side mirror which assisted in seeing what was in that direction if he wanted to make a right turn (the left side mirror was slightly extended to allow better viewing on that side). I think all EX's had that stuff on it, while the lower level LX didn't have any of those.

American automakers by contrast, like letting people pick and choose from a variety of options. Some things may be packaged together, but you can pick from large selection. So one Ford Focus may have a rear camera, but another one won't (before this became a mandatory item that is). One may have heated seating, but the other one next to it that's otherwise nearly identical doesn't.

This means one car model can have hundreds of variances when you go looking for one. The nice thing is if you're looking for a new car, you can usually have one built to your specifications if you can't find one you like and can wait a few months for it. I don't recall if the Japanese automakers do that as well.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Bang on answer. It helps lower cost when they don't have to make 60 different variations.

And when it comes time to sell it, as a second hand potential customer, you know what the prices are and what equipment it has. If the car was a la carts, then it's hard to compare prices between multiple vehicles because they could all have slightly different equipment. It's also easier for the seller to gouge.

12. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's all about lowering cost, and all the mainstream brands have moved to it, with varying degrees to the extra options and packages. True a la carte options can only be found in some luxury brands, and on other high price models.

13. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I am with @Ashlem @Tideland Prius and @Trollbait here and think the critics here are a bit premature without weighing-in one important factor - prices of the various trims.

KrPtNk likes this.
  14. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The price is, I'm going to have to pay a lot extra for something I don't want and then have to pay even more extra to cover it up.

My friend today told me Softex is garbage. It has torn twice on his 2008 4Runner while the cloth ofln my 04 Prius is still almost like new.

15. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Considering SofTex was introduced to the Toyota lineup in 2012, I'm gonna have to call BS on the type of material your friend thinks he has in his 4Runner. It came in cloth or leather seat surfaces.

giora, Ashlem and KrPtNk like this.
  16. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The softex in my 2014 Prius seems to be holding up well.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we have funky seat material in our 2013 hycam. i thought it was softex, but apparently not.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. Gen 2 TCH comes in cloth or ultra suede/leather. Camry SE comes in sport fabric or ultra suede/leather. That option was changed for 2014 to sport fabric /SofTex. The new XSE has ultrasuede/leather

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, so the ultra suede/leather is not too bad. it's held up okay for 3 years, although early on, it detached from the side of the drivers seat. i think a bigger problem with toyota seats is that the foam is kinda mushy.

20. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    He called it Toyota's Faux Leather.