1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible Prius v Five Newbie

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by RebelAthena, Jun 20, 2014.

1. RebelAthena

RebelAthena New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    First let me tell you that I am a long-time lurker and, although this is a first post, I love this site!

Second, using USAA's car buying service and searching the web intensely, I've found a great deal on a Prius v Five (with the AT package) in South Carolina; I need to decide whether to take the hybrid plunge. I am currently driving a Lexus RX 350. I have recently moved to Atlanta, however, and my commute has doubled; although I can get 23-24 mpg, I'm tired of the amount of gas I'm using and, also, paying for premium gas. I'm 6'1" and not skinny; it is generally only me and two dogs. I've test driven the vehicle four times and I'm comfortable in the car.

So, knowing what you know now, what would you have wanted to know before you purchased your Prius v? Also, I'm going bare bones on options independent of the AT package; I'm struggling to find value in floor mats, or Toyoguard, or iphone cords. Thoughts?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is no bare bones about a package five with AT. It's the best of the best they make, everything will come with it.

If you've driven it 4 times and it suits you, there is no reason for anyone's comment to stop you. It's not like it's used

SM-N900P ?

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Fuel costs are only going up given the current world situation. Compute your annual costs for gas on your current car and on the Prius.

When I did mine I used an inflation factor each year. I now look at the prices of gas and just shrug...because while the cost of fuel is real, with double the mileage and not paying for premium grade fuel, I'm doing just fine. It does everything I bought it for.

The navigation/GPS is not the best and the maps are outdated. Negotiate a free November Map update into your deal. A nice feeling when you only have to stop half as often.

If you are in GA, you are also getting the SWT distributor add-ons. The right hand column on the sticker. You are also paying for them.

4. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Southeast Toyota Distribution almost always adds window tinting, floor mats and cargo mats and ups the price by about $1,000.

When I got my 2012 "v," I got them all for FREE and negotiated them out of the price. That's even when the "v" was in short supply in early 2012 as the result of the Tsunami.

5. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    If your commute is mostly on the freeway, you won't get amazing MPG but it'll be close to 2x what you're used to once you learn how. As for the rest, you get a decent mid-sized wagon with a load of technology and plenty of space for 2 pooches to relax. But compared to a Lexus, any Prius is basic transportation, there's no cush there and its a bit noisy. The seat needs to be dialed in for tall people, and the headrest may be a problem for you. See how it feels after a couple weeks.

6. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Atlanta would likely be a good place to own a hybrid. The guy in New Mexico doesn't understand Atlanta and other urban high traffic areas like Los Angeles and Washington DC, Northern Virginia and Maryland.

I drove into Atlanta about a month, ago. I creeped along in stop and go traffic for a half hour inbound on south I-85 to get to I-285E.

15 years, ago, I drove regularly to Atlanta. The traffic has gotten really bad since then.

Hybrids burn almost no gas when stopped, while others, even diesels, keep burning fuel.

So, you will realize savings with a hybrid.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The Five has the 3 door SKS, I really miss it on my Three. You can customize it so one press on the fob unlocks all doors or that touching the drivers door handle, front passengers door handle or tailgate handle opens all doors. (I like an easy open car for everyone to use, but I am an old man who parks in a private garage, if you park in public late at night frequently,, you may prefer having only the drivers door open with the fob and/or when you grab the door handle, which is why you can customize. I prefer the headlights to turn off when I open the drivers door, but you can set them to 30, 60, or 90 seconds, as is appropriate to your parking situation)

Study the Customizations part of the manual, and make getting your preferred customizations a part of the sale, so the service department won't try to charge you for them later.
    http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM47840U/pdf/sec_06-02.pdf

(On a Three) If you never mess with the History screen. Your lifetime gas mileage is shown with the odometer, so do not mess with the history screen, which will reset that average.

bigrin likes this.
  8. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Not a lot of difference between a hatchback and a v. Looking for a new car sixteen months ago, I chose a Prius Plug In Advance for a new experience. Coming from a well equipped 2011 Lexus IS 350, and a 2005 Mercedes SLK 55 ///AMG before that. I found the transition easy and fun. I no longer care to go -F-A-S-T-. My Prius fits my age (almost 64) and lifestyle perfectly. My Prius is sporty, high tech, well equipped (advance has most or all the AT features), and gets incredible fuel mileage using regular (mucho cheaper) unleaded gas. If I left something out, I don't need it. Good luck in your decision. I think you'll adapt well to the Prius V. More options has always been my thought and you'll enjoy the features on the Prius v Five w/AT. Originally from Atlanta and spending time in the central Georgia area years ago, I don't envy your commute.

9. jejb

jejb Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Just bought a Prius v a bit over a week ago. I'm 6'1"/ 185lbs and the seats are plenty comfortable and the seating area is fairly roomy. No issues there at all.