1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible short Circuit Parking Lock message

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dubhe, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Dubhe

Dubhe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello everyone,
    I have what I think is an electrical issues. Hopefully nothing major.

I drive a 2010 Prius. Last night as I drove to work I noticed my right headlight was out. I have aftermarket HIDs. When I arrived I opened the trunk to check the bulb and noticed the HID ballast was smoking so I quickly turned off the lights. That stopped it from smoking. I turned on the lights once more and it began to smoke again. After work this morning, I unplugged one of the headlights from the ballast then I turned on my car and got the Parking malfunction message. I could not put the car into gear and I had the orange exclamation point with the triangle. I turned it off and on a few times until it finally worked. I had to drive home with the lights off. Everything seemed normal during the drive besides my lights being off and the check engine light came on.

Could this be a shortage or a fuse problem? I don’t know much about this but the only thing I can think of is completely removing the HIDs and replacing them with OEM lightbulbs.

Might this just have been a bad HID ballast problem or a fuse or the battery? Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You can convert those lousy lights to regular Halogen that don't need a balast and will last way longer and don't cost very much... What's even better, I won't silently curse at you when you blind me with your overly bright headlights. Of course I've no shortage of others to silently curse out.

ASRDogman and Dubhe like this.
  3. Dubhe

Dubhe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks and sorry for all the other one of us who use these lights. They look nice but I’ve learned my lesson. I turned on the car again this afternoon and I don’t see the P malfunction anymore. Only the check engine light. Hopefully it’s nothing else other than the faulty HID ballast.

PriusCamper likes this.
  4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You put HIDs in the back?!

5. Dubhe

Dubhe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Oh wow I didn’t notice that mistake. I meant hood.

6. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Any auto parts store can quickly retrieve the primary error code, but maybe not the subcodes. But at least that's a start. Once you know more, let us know and we'll do our best to help?

7. Dubhe

Dubhe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Hello everyone.
    A quick update. I changed the headlight lightbulbs and everything seems like it’s back to normal. It definitely was a faulty HID ballast. It smelled burnt. I replaced them with OEM bulbs and the P lock message did not come back. The check engine light went off.
    For anyone browsing the boards, I advice you don’t buy aftermarket HID kits. They may look good and give you a clear sight at night but they may cause electrical problems in your car like it did mine. Luckily I kept the receipt which has a two year warranty.

Thank for reading and thank you to those who offered suggestions on my problem.

dig4dirt likes this.
  8. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Great find and share, glad you resolved the issue. Overtime members here have proven not to use the search feature let alone read the replies here but I’ll remember this one for sure.