1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible solution to the ugly "Bone China" trim

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Bill the Engineer, Jan 30, 2016.

1. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II

Like I keep saying, 3rd party producers WILL address this problem, at a much lower price point than any 'official' solution. Just give them some time.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the good thing is, this isn't a jdm left/right hand drive problem.

3. reesch

reesch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Couldn't agree more! Just saw a bit of the "white porcelain" on a Prius II at the local dealer. Very much wanted a '16 Prius IV, but will hang onto my 2012 Prius v. The white "porcelain" is a definite deal breaker. Surely, Toyota can come up with a fix if not at least an option. Even the salesmen at the dealership agreed that Toyota designers missed the mark on this "great idea".

Perhaps if they have to shut down production
    for awhile due to the fire at their steel supplier (per other postings I've read) they'll have time to revisit this dumb idea.

4. Chrisus

Chrisus Junior Member

I have to concur with the sentiment about the ugly white! I have a Gen two and this is my year! I'll buy it anyway and research how to get rid of the white. Going for a 3 touring in red. I was hoping for a light gold or tan like mine. Doesn't show road film much at all. Oh well.

5. Since2002

Since2002 Senior Lurker

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now that people are buying Gen 4's I'm starting to realize that I don't really need to insult other people's tastes. Toyota I'm sure will realize if they haven't already that not everyone wants the Bone China treatment. And since it's not a structural item that would have to wait for the next design tweak, my guess is that there will be a non-Bone China option for all trim levels in the next model year. Or possibly sooner, depending on if there are sizably more people who feel so strongly about it than just the few of us yammering about it here.

To handle the logistics, maybe they could tie it to an interior color, like maybe black interior gets Bone China but moonstone and harvest beige don't.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wouldn't count on it. Their receptiveness to customer feedback seems near nil, or it's a "face" thing. Or whoever came up with the idea is too senior to cross. Who knows.

Sergiospl likes this.
  7. Oversplode

Oversplode Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Has anyone actually purchased and applied the black appliqué to their Prius? When I get my Prius I will probably be buying the appliqué and installing it. Just wanted to find out how hard it is to do.

rcsting likes this.
  8. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    I ordered the 2016 Prius Lower Console/Shifter Appliqué Package on feburary 15'th from shop.priuschat.com

It's been in "Awaiting Fulfillment" since then.

If and when it gets here, I'll let you know.

BTW - they took my money on 2/16

#48 I'mJp, Feb 21, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
    Oversplode likes this.
  9. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm not buying the factory applique now because I'm hoping for better options than glossy black from third parties (or maybe even Toyota) later this year. I think people really interested in this issue are watching this thread, so I hope there will continue to be posts here as options emerge. So far I've seen nothing comparable to the official applique. I've seen that on several cars (plenty are showing up this way from the factory, so dealers have clearly weighed in on this, at least in my market), and to my eye it's 100% better, but I'll try living with the white a while first and see what comes down the pike. The $300 price tag is a great incentive for patience.

krmcg likes this.
  10. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Today, 2/22/16, my order from shop.priuschat.com was updated to shipped, fed-ex with a link to that status, which states 2/24/16 as the arrival date.

Today, 2/24/16, I received the Lower Console part of my order. The shifter portion was missing. When I contacted shop.priuschat.com, they responded within a few hours, apologized, and promised to send the shifter portion soon.

The Console portion consisted of two plastic pieces, the smaller of the two pieces was for the front side of the "center glove box". There were no instructions included. The pieces had double sided stickies, so it didn't appear too difficult..

The tricky part for me, was getting the large console plastic to seat far back enough to not interfere with the 12 volt plug hatch, and the usb hatch. When you install be sure and seat the rear portion of the console first, making sure that the hatch's are free to open and close before applying pressure to seat the front portion of the console cover.

Today, 3/1/16, I got the shifter package via usps. Went on without a hitch.

#50 I'mJp, Feb 22, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  11. cjecpa

cjecpa Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    bisco likes this.
  12. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  13. cjecpa

cjecpa Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    $180 installs looks like just double sided tape. Side note saw someone is selling 15" used 2016 Prius wheels already on E-Bay.

14. Yeahoo Whoyah

Yeahoo Whoyah Duct Tape Advocate

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Last Sunday I test drove a new Four-Touring with the factory installed applique for the shifter housing and center console toilet bowl bowl. If I recall it was shown at a $199 option on MSRP window sticker which totaled $33,483. Great car, much nicer than my Gen-2.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It seems a new nadir in automotive design: to have a "feature" like this, and an expensive accessory to cover it up. Customers should just refuse the charge. And Toyo should wake up.

I'll go back under my bridge now.

mrlebop likes this.
  16. PLSPUSH

PLSPUSH Active Member

just remove the "white" and paint it any color you want

17. mrlebop

mrlebop Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I hear they throw in a packet of Tidy Bowl with every purchase... :whistle:

#57 mrlebop, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
    Vike likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  19. Oversplode

Oversplode Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sure does look that way. I don't think I have seen the lower steering wheel piece anywhere else. Had no clue that was even an option. I might need to pick one of these up when I get my Prius.

iPhone ?

bisco likes this.
  20. ATHiker

ATHiker Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I do not think so.

The console appliqué comes in two pieces. That looks to be the "vertical" piece that caps the front of the arm rest.

Interesting that it is "Made in the USA"

I have not seen it on Toyota's websites for other countries. Perhaps this offering was the direct result of all the comments here on Prius Chat?

Of course -t least one of those countries (England) gets a lot more neat accessories offered for the 2016-- from trailer hitches with wiring harnesses to chrome bling to a special sports jacket holder behind the driver's seat.

Looks like they got left behind on th appliqué, though.