1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible solution to the ugly "Bone China" trim

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Bill the Engineer, Jan 30, 2016.

1. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    I did'nt have to remove anything.

Be sure to clean and dry the attachment areas. Very important.

2. icbibafp

icbibafp New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I can't believe you just said that, I'll never look at my steering wheel the same.

helmkera likes this.
  3. PeterKG

PeterKG Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Today I quickly decided to remove the black appliqué. It just bothered me that I had this piece stuck on top of another piece. I kept the shifter appliqué on as well as the piece that is under the center console armrest/box. I'll see if I regret it later but for now will enjoy the metallic white console the came in my car.

krmcg likes this.
  4. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think you are over thinking the issue. When I am in my Gen 4 I can't see the a$$ end (can't see my own, either). So it's no issue. When I did see my first Gen 4 from the rear on the road I liked it.

5. Macomb

Macomb Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The white plastic is one of the worst automotive decor decisions in history. I paid $200 for the shiny black plastic overlay which is almost as hideous, but NOT WHITE. It covers the shift lever plate and much of the console, though there's still plenty of white showing and ALL of the white on the steering wheel is still visible. I'm going to buy a can of semi-gloss black spray enamel and some masking tape and spray paint the white areas that remain. I did cut some black foam drink cozy's and stuffed those in the showing-white of the console cup holders. I'll put toll road coinage/bills in them along with small stuff like gold rings, neck chains and other jewelry I find along the roads.

6. Caniac

Caniac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I still can't believe somebody hasn't come up with something other than the black overlay.

7. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Easier and cheaper to just complain.

If I had this decor issue (I don't) I'd be looking into the cost & feasibility of using the black parts from a Model 2.

#107 JohnF, May 9, 2016
    Last edited: May 9, 2016
    Frederickdawg likes this.
  8. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    yes, but the console on the 2 and the 4 are different.

dstahre and JohnF like this.
  9. JohnF

JohnF Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How about the 3? What are the differences between the 2 and the 4 consoles? Is it just Qi charging and could that be adapted?

It would be so much more peaceful around here without all the whining about the Bone China! Now I'm beginning to hate it too.

#109 JohnF, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
    My first EV likes this.
  10. Caniac

Caniac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't have a gen 4 but if i did I'd take it straight to my vinyl guy and see if he could wrap it in a different color. If they can wrap entire cars I am pretty sure they could do those pieces.

11. dstahre

dstahre Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The 4 is a major departure from the 3 inside and out. I didn't like the white at first but it makes seeing things on the console easier and if I slop coffee I can see it to clean it up before it becomes a permanent part of the interior!

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  12. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Looks like a semi truck steering wheel. Massive LOL

LG-H901 ?

13. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The Three and Four have identical center consoles - only the Two uses the lower grade flat black plastic. I wouldn't consider it - given the upgrades in other interior plastics, it would be at least as out of place as the stark white.

Not everyone cares about the Qi charger, but those who do definitely don't want to get into this mess - this would require some medium-grade craftwork to achieve an attractive result. Better to wait for a third party solution (or different colors/textures from Toyota - they've hinted as much in dealer presentations to calm some of the feedback) for console covers; the white isn't going to hurt you in the mean time.

While I still kinda hate it, the truth is I've calmed down a bit since I don't see it when driving or riding up front, so it's not a meaningful part of the in-car experience, only an annoyance when looking into the car from outside. The main reaction from honest friends isn't that it's hideous, but that it makes the interior look unfinished, like someone left a big part out of the middle. The big "toothed" drink holders add to this effect, as if they're sockets for some missing part(s).

14. galownia

galownia Previous master neon mechanic

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have the two with the flat black. It came in bone china from the dealer and I had them change it before delivering the car. It is SO much better than the white. The matte black blends nicely with the car, and I've had no trouble with the quality of the plastic.

JohnF likes this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm confused. Here it's saying "white bone china accents are only on models 3 and 4. Maybe it needs an update? Which level is the matte black stock?

Visual Tables of Gen4 Package Combinations | PriusChat

16. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    There are no Twos with fine bone china. Hard to figure what actually happened here, but no, what's described isn't possible in U.S. models (MN's in the U.S., right? ;))

If it is a Two and galownia's just confused about it having white to start with (which seems the most likely explanation, because I'm sure one wouldn't be mistaken about the trim level one bought), then of course the flat black would coordinate just fine with the rest of the interior - it's all the same stuff.

JohnF, krmcg and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. Weasle543

Weasle543 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Has anyone tried hydro dipping? Plasti-dip?

At least with plasti-dip it would

Having a 2, I guess I don't understand all the hoopla...

JohnF likes this.
  18. Vike

Vike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    All such solutions would entail disassembling and removing the center console, then adding a layer or layers of some material, then putting it all back together and hope the pieces still fit properly. Speaking for myself, I'm not that motivated; as noted earlier, while a bit goofy looking, it's not that much of an irritant when traveling in the car. On the other hand, applying a set of appliques or other drop-on/pop-on type solution seems less disruptive, and I'm hoping we'll see some attractive options along those lines before too long.

JohnF likes this.
  19. galownia

galownia Previous master neon mechanic

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is a two Eco. I know for sure it had white around the shifter in the showroom. I may be mistaken about the center console, however. The dealer changed the shifter to glossy black before I picked it up. The same was true with my wife's two eco (yes, we have two two ecos).

Jonathan

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I downloaded the US brochure. Could be they're changing things on the fly, but taking the brochure at face value:

1. All levels have white for the shifter surround and the steering wheel garnish.
    2. Levels 2 and 2 Eco have black center console, in all others it is white.

OTOH, there's very little description in the 2 Eco "Interior Features" section. Maybe they neglect to note the center console is white??

upload_2016-5-12_6-49-2.png

galownia likes this.