1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

possible Sports Car to 2nd Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kbr0125, Apr 15, 2012.

1. kbr0125

kbr0125 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Hello,

Looking into get another prius one for myself this time. We currently have a 2010 II that I bought my wife(kind of got screwed when we bought it, paid a lot) Looking to get one for myself , looking to get a Gen 2 because I can get it a little bit cheaper plus I would like to get the Touring with the Backup Cam and Nav. Just wondering if there is much difference to these two. My wife currently puts on 600+ miles a week on her 2010 prius, we save roughly 200$ in gas compared to her old car.

Three Questions:

Is there much difference between the Gen 2 and Gen 3?
    What Gen and style do I need to be able to have satellite radio?

My Story and Math, very long.

I was looking at certified pre owned 2009 Turning with less than 50k miles for around 18,000 - 19,000 but I would talk down the dealer a thousand and see if they give military discount. Looking to get the out the door price of 18,500 with all fees and taxes.
    As of right now I have a 2008 Nissan 350z 33k miles, (not gas friendly at all when it takes 91!!!), I total around 350-400 miles a week. I average about 18MPG combined on way to work(cant drive a sports car slow), I spend around 75-85$ to fill it up once a week. takes premium. I’ll use $300 a month for Comparison. Now ill factor in the Insurance which is roughly $175 a month just for my car. Payment is at 425 with 5.74 interest.

With a 2009 Toyota Prius, I figure 48MPG (combined) I already quoted insurance and it will go down roughly 75$ if I trade in my sports car. so that a good amount of savings already. I would also be spending around 135 in gas to and from work once I get it.
    I owe 14,500, dealers low ball me and say trade in value is only 15,500, I put on craigslist and have had multiple offers for 17,500.(which is low, the private sales price on KBB is 20,000, trade in is 15,500. this is using good condition because very few are excellent)
    So ill get roughly 1,000 trade in value towards prius.

So my loan would be roughly 17500 , I would most likely get it at 60 months at 2.9% just in case of future I don’t have to make huge payment if anything important emergency wise comes up. 315$ if I get a 60 month loan or 390 if I get 48 months.

So the monthly cost of a prius Payment, insurance and gas would be: 48 month Loan: $625 60 Month Loan: $550
    350z with Payment, Insurance, and Gas. $900 That dam high when everything is factored in.
    So if I did get a 2nd prius I would roughly save $350 a month with 60 month loan. Over 4,000 a year!

The only thing me and my wife are not hurting for money we have plenty in bank and just bought a new 4 bedroom house. I'm only 21 years old trying to get ahead in life.

Pros of trading In:
    1.) Save Lots of money to use for children’s education or house improvements
    2.) Be able to transport my children
    3.) Better investment for future

Cons:
    1.) I love my CAR, love to track it but think it’s time to grow up for time being and maybe buy one in a few years on top of a prius once we have more money in bank.
    2.) 350z is sexy, but not practical.

Come to the conclusion that I’m going to get my 2nd prius, for better savings and to transport children. Currently out of the country due to the War, when i get back plan to buy.

2. kbr0125

kbr0125 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also looking at the new prius C III, might just have to spend the extra money to get that. Very sexy prius, :)

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are a LOT of differences between Gen 2 and 3, along w/many options available on the Gen 3 that never existed on Gen 2. See http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/88583-prius-versions.html#post1242903 and a bunch of posts past it.

I can't speak to satellite radio as I don't care about it, but http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...andard-optional-equipment-some-countries.html might help when shopping for a Gen 2.

4. kbr0125

kbr0125 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just dont want another Gen 3 they are quite expensive, but i can save 2k off MSRP of a Prius C with my credit union car buying program so that might be the best route to go, might be higher payment but i have the peace of mind that its brand new, and im only owner.

5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I think the Gen II is the best deal out there. They are highly reliable, very practical and get nearly as good of gas mileage as the C or Gen III. I would look for an 06 or 07 w/ under 80K in good shape and go for it. Economically, it makes the most sense. You could score one of them for about $14K and save even more than $350 a month. My 06 has been a very pleasant experience currently sitting at 50.3 mpg's over the past 573 miles.

6. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    here is a copy from a post I made about a month ago for someone on the fence b/t a fully loaded used gen II or a barebones gen III:

after owning the gen II for years i bought a gen III fully loaded V with radar cruise, the works, you get the idea. lets just say i sold it and went back to the gen II. Although the outside of the gen III is much more beautiful (as opposed to nerdy) the inside is downright insane:
    first, its missing some key HVAC steering wheel buttons, and instead added a dozen or so hard buttons on the center stack. In gen II I could go months or years w/o having to touch a button on the dash because the steering wheel buttons was perfect, not so on gen III.
    second, speaking of the center stack, that floating scandanavian thing may be cool in a volvo, but it just made me feel cramped and closed in from the rest of the cabin.
    third, the nav screen is way too low and pointed towards the ceiling, after years of never having to take my eye completely off the road to see it in the gen II the gen III is downright dangerous.
    fourth, and this is going to sound petty, the cupholders went from being really cool in the gen II to downright stupid in the gen III. Whereas the 'door' of the front cupholder in gen II becomes part of the cupholder (ingenious imo), the door of the gen III front cupholder is too tall and ugly when open. And speaking of open, you have to leave the center console partially open to have a second cupholder, that means you are losing storage space and you have to show the whole world all the crap you keep in there.

Yes you are correct the seats are better on gen III, but if you care that much about comfy seats than you want a long distance cruiser and you should get package five not two because the radar cruise makes long distance driving so relaxing, you can just set the speed and the car automatically slows down for traffic and speeds back up when traffic clears, you get out of the car after a 2 hour drive feeling like its only been 15 minutes. The cost: oh about 10 more grand for the loaded five over the two. Also I have to give gen III credit for allowing me to see consumption and nav at the same time so I don't have to toggle back and forth, all in all in 6 years Toyota has made more deprovements than improvements.

exterior: like I said the gen III is much more beautiful and the roof is strong enough to support a moonroof (aftermarket or factory solar) which would make summer driving more enjoyable than a gen II. But there is a problem, you only get the cool L.E.D. headlamps and fog lamps on the package five, all other 4 packages get cheap-looking halogens and cheap gray plastic instead of fog lamps that just shouts "This car is missing some available options". At least on 'cheaper' gen II Prius you don't get empty spaces where fog lamps are supposed to go.

last is the wheels, on the gen II we got either nerdy looking 15" wheels or attractive 16" wheels, but at least you could take off the 'trim rings' and the 15" wheels would look decent. on the gen III you either spent over $30K to get the V with gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous 17" wheels or you get 15" wheels which in my opinion are unattractive w/o the covers and downright hideous with the covers on.

and your theory of making more financial sense to buy the gen III is wrong, the first buyer always takes the biggest depreciation hit. a car loses 7% by leaving the lot and 10% each year. I think the 2009 is priced a little high but a certified 7 year 100K mile warranty will give you better peace of mind than the 2011. The 2009 will look like a 2004 whereas the 2011 will still look like the newest model for years to come, something to keep in mind.

So when comparing gen II and gen III I think I've made it pretty clear that my dream prius would be a gen III package five with a gen II interior but the seats from a gen III or VW GTI . . . if only such a car existed? Maybe toyota will keep the prius attractive for gen IV and fix the interior . . .

1 person likes this.
  7. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm with you cnschult

8. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You're 21, married, have a 4 BR house, and want a second Prius? :twitch: Is anybody else WTFing?

Edit: I need to join the freaking Army.

9. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You can save a lot of money when you're in a war zone for a year.

10. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hyundai Genesis coupe offered a nice 3.8 V6, 6-speed manual and a better warranty than your 350z while also offering RWD, it also had an available track model with Brembo brakes and track suspension standard, it had rear seats for children and didn't have silly gigantic rear strut towers stealing all your cargo space. It also had a moonroof, I'm not sure if 350z offered one, if not that's another plus for the Genesis.

If I lived down south the Genesis coupe is what I would drive, but I need FWD up here so as soon as Honda puts rear seats in the CR-Z I'm there.