1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible to disable 3 warning beeps when opening and shutting doors when keyfob is not in vehicle?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Brian Mel, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Brian Mel

Brian Mel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I deliver pizzas so that means I am in and out of my vehicle over 100 times a day. I do not want to shut off my vehicle that many times; especially, when I will only be away from it for one or two minutes. I was instructed by Toyota to leave the vehicle in park and return to the vehicle. It will not damage the battery. However, everytime I leave the vehicle, it beeps 3 times when I open and close the drivers door and again 3 more times when I open the hatch to get the pizzas out. When I return the the vehicle, if I have to open another door or the hatch, there goes another 3 beeps. Extremely annoying and customers have commented on it and makes the prius look bad as I have no real quick explanation for the beeps. Is there a way to disable these beeps other than leaving the keys in the car? I like to keep the keys in my pocket as I don't want to have to remember all the time to grab them again when I return to the pizza shop.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think you should power off your car because anyone can get in and drive off within those 1 or 2 minutes it takes to deliver the pizza. You said you don't take a key out of your pocket to lock the doors so it is unlocked and vulnerable. What is the motivation for not turning off the car? The ICE will cycle off anyway if it is warmed up so it isn't any more strain on the engine leaving it on or turning it off.

energyandair and Mendel Leisk like this.
  4. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Sadly Brian has not given us any hint to his actual location, but if you live where it is both hot and humid, you lose ground on comfort every time the car just sits.

5. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I see a downside to shutting off a traditional car.
    I see no downside to shutting off a Prius.

mmmodem likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd push the power button, instead of the park button. Same amount of effort, safer, legal, no beep.

WilDavis and energyandair like this.
  7. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Especially given that the gas engine likely has already shut itself down.......and if the AC is not going, pretty much nothing is happening anyway.

WilDavis likes this.
  8. Brian Mel

Brian Mel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You wouldn't be able to drive off with it because the key is not in the vehicle and if I cannot see my vehicle, I shut it off and lock the doors. My reasoning for leaving the car on is 1.) less wear in the power (push) button (I would rather have my park button fail than my power switch), 2.) theoretically if the car is in park and the car is in s4 mode as long as the car doesn't sit for too long, I should get the max mpg as long as I pulse the pedal correctly. If I shut down the car it's my understanding it has to go through the startup cycle again which results in less MPG since I have to punch the car in the power cycle right off the bat to get back to the store fast. I am always in competition mode (lead foot so to speak), I want the car to be warmed up as much as possible or in s4. If it has no affect, I will start shutting down the vehicle and see what happens.

9. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure about yours, but mine you most definitely can run off with it without the key being near. Just don't turn it off ;)

When I pick up our mail, I get the same annoying beeps. Same in the driveway, I keep it in ev mode, run in, then back, beeps all the time.

For delivering pizzas, I can definitely feel the pronounced paid of your beeper. There's nothing wrong with what you want and how you're doing it. If you shut it off, same impact really, just a minor annoyance. Everytime I've seen these discussions, I'm reminded of the differences between trying to loyally defend silly things, and the freedom of doing the obvious common sense thing. I've also come to learn this is a very different world we live in now.

10. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yes you can drive away without the key if the power is left on. But once it's powered off it won't restart til it detects the key. I agree with OP on this. If I have to get in and out of th car multiple times in short period, I wouldn't want to shut my car off either.

11. Brian Mel

Brian Mel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You're right, you can drive away with it. It's something I've never tried. I just assumed since it said no key detected it wouldn't allow it to be shifted into drive without the key. However, my other concerns are still valid about mpg and wear on the power button shutting down vs keeping in park for the 1 minute I will be away from the vehicle at the customers door. At the pizza shop I turn off the car and lock the car. If I can't see the car or will be away for more than a few minutes, I will power down. Still, I will have to take care of the beeping. The dealer wants to charge 1/2 hr labor to do what will take 5 mins to program. Pretty stupid because a lot of the things like seatbelt and reverse alarms you could turn off yourself until Toyota realized the could make money off you by calling it a customization. Pretty shady since they know a majority of people will be wanting it done. Which if why I think they removed the ability for users to de program the beeps themselves.

12. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You can make those customizations yourself, with an OBDII programmer. As Gen 3 has progressed, more and more of the customizations have been available on the touch screen. But you have the first year Gen 3.

13. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On my quest for better fuel economy, I experimented with delaying going on the freeway by taking a alternate route to work on local streets. It worked. Slower speeds indeed increased my overall fuel economy. Then I thought, wait a minute, I got better fuel economy going a longer distance. MPG went up but so did my fuel costs. For your situation, is better fuel economy worth the theft risk? You make the call.

As for the Start button wearing. You tell me which button looks and feels more flimsy. The Park Button or the Start button? I'd rather neither button wear out during my ownership. If I had to use one, I'd choose the one I think is more durable.

14. energyandair

energyandair Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    MPG
    I can't see how leaving the car switched on can help mpg. It appears to me that if there is any effect at all, it would be very small and negative.

Wear on Power button
    I've never heard of a Prius power button failing and I think the chance of it doing so is very small.
    Old style mechanical switches did sometimes fail within the life of the car but an electronic button does not have the same moving parts.

User Programming
    In this case, I think Toyota eliminated the user programming option on these beeps because there is a significant downside to leaving the car switched on in all normal situations and the alert beeps are not a big problem in the rare situations where leaving it on might make sense. (eg temperatures below -40, and some maintenance situations)

15. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the only practical use of the beep is to alert a driver that he forgot to turn the car off. In ev mode, it makes no noise. I do think the three rather loud beeps are a bit much imo.

16. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What if you leave the key in the car?

17. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ And maybe the driver's door open? ;)

18. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Doesn't matter if you leave the driver door open. If any door opens and closes will beep including the hatch. Just leave the keys in the car if you don't want it to beep. The car can be driven away with or without keys so might as well leave the keys in the car to avoid the beeps.

19. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I meant it in jest: car running, keys in the car, open door beckoning: what's not to like. The beeping will stop when someone hops in and drives away, whoever that may be. And insurance rates stay high, lol.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    baby in the backseat...