1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible to get Prius C under MSRP?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by VicVicVic, Mar 12, 2012.

1. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, that's a good point. The reason I told them I didn't mind waiting for a factory order to come in is that I'm going to be away for most of April, so I don't want to take delivery until early May. If the current negotiations don't go anywhere I'll start again when I get back and see if there are any cars already on the lot that fit what I'm looking for.

2. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I was at this same dealer in January looking at the V, which I decided was a much bigger car than I needed. I told them I'd be back after the C came in, and when I got there today the salesman just handed me the keys of a silver Three and said "We know where you live".

I took the car for about a fifteen mile drive, all on the flat but mixed local roads and highway, hitting some sections at 65 mph. I stopped shortly after I left the dealer to reset the trip totals and when I got back it was showing 56.7 mpg for my run.

So the test drive was great but the haggling not so good. I told them I wouldn't pay MSRP and walked.

3. kocho

kocho Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does this include any sales tax or registration fees (don't know how things are in your area, for me in MD I would add 6% sales tax and a couple of hundred for title and registration)?

Thanks!

4. kocho

kocho Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Folks who pay under MSRP but get dinged a couple of thousands on a trade-in (compared to private sale of their used vehicle) are *not* really paying under MSRP... So, please make sure you post the details. If the dealership maks $1K off your trade they will give you a few hunders off MSRP on the new car, if you ask :) You still lose money at the end though, so the price point below MSRP is ... somewhat pointless with a trade.

5. Onesmallrat

Onesmallrat New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Good point! Has anyone gotten the car below MSRP without a trade in? I'm trying to figure out how to bargain next week when it comes in. I am being offered MSRP plus those silly carpets for $225. Being that I am also young and female I'm guessing they will just try to blow me off! ;)

6. bretaz

bretaz Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow. I am surprised people would walk over $500. I will skip Starbucks once a month and send you the $8.96 each month.

Let's face it, there is not going to be huge discounts on this car, ever. Invoice is $900 - $1,200 below msrp. Its a brand new model that is selling well. I doubt there will be any consumer or dealer incentives in the near future.

If you like grinding, I don't, you will find a dealer that will do it. Or wait 6-8 months and try again.

7. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    As I mentioned, while I'm ready to buy a Three I'm in no desperate hurry to get it.

According to various sites, invoice on the Three without any options is $20,900 versus MSRP of $22,395, so the dealer has almost $1,500 to play with.

8. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Some more context/anecdata: The invoice I saw for my c Two showed $20,025 dealer price (19,885 w/o floor mats) and $20,885 MSRP (20,660 w/o the floor mats). I got it (w/ mats) for $20,600 + DMV fees.

I imagine there's more room to move (i.e. more of a mark-up) on the higher trims.

9. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  10. priusandquiet

priusandquiet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Yes this did include my sales tax ($1435) and all other fees. This was my out the door price.

11. priusandquiet

priusandquiet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Exactly why I didn't trade at the dealer :rolleyes:

12. PreciousPups4U

PreciousPups4U New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    Purchased my Absolutely Red Prius c One yesterday. MSRP was $20,588. Only add ons were the floor/cargo mats and window tint. Paid $19543.23, $1044.77 off MSRP, not sure how that relates to invoice pricing. $20471.73 OTD including fees, sales tax and title. No trade in. It was the only one they had on the lot.

Would have preferred the two, with the split seats and the cargo light but none close to me and I am assuming the Prius c will continue to be scarce. Also since they did negotiate down from MSRP I figured that chance might not come again.

This was also at Town and Country Toyota in Charlotte, NC. Another poster mentioned his positive experience with them. Purchased my Yaris from them in 2008. They are wonderful to deal with if you are in the area.

13. Poolman

Poolman New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Went to my local dealer and took a test drive. They quoted me a price on a Two of $20,885 less a $600 discount. So they seemed to have added $225 to MSRP before the discount. Still under MSRP. I'm e-mailing other dealers to see if I can get a lower price. There are six within 15 miles.

14. Wcao15

Wcao15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm getting my Prius C II at below invoice price (19850) from Toyotal Palo Alto. I went bak and forth with Toyota dublin to get the best price and they kept matching each other's prices. I would start with Dublin since thy were the one that offered me the low price first. They also offered me the 3 for $22000.

They don't have much in stock so I have to wait until the end of te month to get mine!

15. Wcao15

Wcao15 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Ask for Lisa at Palo Alto or Hashim from Dublin

16. PlutoISaPlanet

PlutoISaPlanet New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    I got 2.49% by opting in for the $900 extended warranty. Cancel warranty, keep the rate.

17. Lexcyn

Lexcyn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm surprised you guys are getting those rates. At my dealership the rate is 5.19%

Also, they just sold the only showroom car they had and said it could be 3-6 months before they see more stock (we are in a smallish down).

18. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    I got 2.49% going through my credit union.

19. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Got my C III yesterday for 250.00 under sticker...dealer only had one left on the lot...

-M

20. jurgvonschmurg

jurgvonschmurg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    @wongnog I also bought a premium package in Canada (Toronto area). I paid $25k flat ($340 off) for the one they had in the showroom, and also saved $399 by declining the globali.com crap. They offered $1000 off, but only on an order, i.e. not the one in the showroom. I talked to a few dealers who would match this offer, but all said that delivery on a new order would be late-May at the earliest, and I didn't want to wait :)