1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible to get Prius C under MSRP?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by VicVicVic, Mar 12, 2012.

1. happymiwa

happymiwa New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    I
    i got a quote for MSRP back in april but didn't get to test drive it.... yet. :(
    all the dealerships never have any in stock.

any suggestions on how to negotiate back to msrp-ish?

(currently only getting 19k-20k for trim 1)

2. BBSparks

BBSparks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I got mine for less than MSRP (but not much). It was the end of the month and the salesman wanted one more sale...

At another Toyota dealer in my area, the salesman thought he was doing me a favor by offering me the car at only 1200 over MSRP, instead of the 3000 over MSRP they had on the sticker!

3. thebeed

thebeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Not sure a about the c, but I just got a v5 in the bay area for a considerable amount under INVOICE. Check out Hayward Toyota (Internet price through edmunds). The v's are also tough to find but for some reason they were able to give me a price well below what "truecar" said was dealer COST.

4. 22209

22209 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I got my Prius c 4 w/ moonroof for about $1000 under MSRP. It was the very end of the month, and I think the salesman really wanted to finish the month strong.

5. jmknoll

jmknoll Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Some people bought their C's through a Costco buying program ... you get a modest price break. Very modest. Check out that thread.

6. Oldwolf

Oldwolf Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Delete please.

7. radmangto

radmangto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I HIGHLY recommend :) that any current prospective buyer of a Prius check with Cosco's Vehicle Purchasing plan ..... when I purchased in Feb this year, the discount had just increased from Invoicer to Invoice - $500. I asked the sales dude, who really seemed like he was up on these purchasing programs, and he said they were for all Prius'.

Even if you join Costco for the minimum $50 annual fee, it is a deal from my perspective. I tried Sam's plan and it seemed to cumbersome to the ease of Cosco's.

Regards,
    radmangto
    ==================================

I am planning to purchase my first car, ever, and it's going to be a Prius C, trim 2. I live in San Francisco, CA, and most of the local dealerships are selling the Prius C at above the MSRP/sticker price, with a few matching the sticker price.

Is there any way I can get a second trim Prius C under the MSRP? Also, if I can afford to wait a while, would the price drop?

I'm very new to purchasing cars, so I'm hoping the good people of PriusChat can help me out. I have now read at least 40 Prius C threads on this forum and am very excited about the car, especially after test-driving it today.

Thank you,
    Vic[/QUOTE]

8. Silver101

Silver101 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I bought a Prius C one last month. The MSRP was about $22484.

Base 18950
    All State Window Tint 299
    Carpet Mats w/Trunk Mat 399
    Toyoguard 699
    Delivery 840
    Dealer fee 499
    Tax 3% 650.58
    Tags and title 147.6

Total 22484.18

I paid $20250 which is way below MSRP.

9. Caber

Caber Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I just bought a c model 2. I live in NY but had to go to VT to find the model and color I wanted. I paid the full MSRP.

10. tazia

tazia New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Bought a Two in Moonglow for $600 under MSRP in the Boston area this past weekend. We got the price by asking for quotes over email. I only did one back and forth and probably could have gotten them to go lower by making them bid against each other more aggressively, but I just couldn't be bothered for a couple hundred dollars--the whole car buying process is a headache enough!

MSRP w/floor mats: $20885

Paid: $20285
    Sales tax: $1267.81
    Title prep (new plates):$125
    Document fee: $349
    OTD: $22026.81

No trade-in, 2.74% financing through our credit union (we can eventually reduce it to 2.24%).

We're picking it up tonight!

11. corpgov

corpgov corpgov.net

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got C-3 for about $1,000 off. I didn't get moon roof, only extra was mats. I did it by e-mailing about 25 dealers, telling them I would take the lowest price and telling them to respond by e-mail. Worked in 2004 when I bought my other Prius as well but then I think I only got about $500 off... paid for it with a credit card though, so got a lot of miles. This time they would only allow me to charge $3,000 on the card.

12. purplewithenvy

purplewithenvy New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I bought the 4 in Summer Rain and got it for $300 under MSRP. I find if you sort of pin the dealers against each other and try to get the cheapest price, you should be able to get a little below MSRP. Maybe not a ton, but it always helps!

13. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I paid $560 under MSRP two weeks ago for my Three with moonroof, alloy wheels and carpet mats, with no dealer "options" or extra fees.

I had originally been prepared to wait up to two months for a factory order from a dealer who offered about $800 under MSRP, but a car with the exact color and options I wanted came in at another local dealer and I went with them at $560 under.

14. nomoreow

nomoreow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was able to talk them down........give a tip $$ to the sale guy for the hard work , for keeping asking the big boss to lower the price.

Was able to get a great deal over Memorial Weekend...
    Here is the break-down...for Prius C II (Moonglow) w/carpet & cargo mat set.......

Was able to get a great deal over Memorial Weekend...
    Here is the break-down...for Prius C II (Moonglow) w/carpet & cargo mat set.......

Car $20,885.00 msrp
    Market Savings: -$2,105.00 (with Dest. & Regional fees waived)
    SmartChoice Price $18,780.00

-----------------------------------------------------
    Sales Tax (estimate): $1,762.68 (9.000% tax)
    DMV fee's $269.75
    Doc Fee $55.00
    Balance Due (estimate): $20,867.43
    Cash Payment discounts: -$68.00
    ========================
    OTD $20,799.43

15. Laudbrian

Laudbrian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi nomoreow,

Thanks for sharing your details. May I ask what dealer you went with in the Bay Area? :) Seems like a great price. My wife and I are beginning the sales process with a few here in the East Bay.

16. Laudbrian

Laudbrian Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
  17. want_a_c

want_a_c Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Emailing dealers sounds like a very good idea. From your experience, do the dealers have to honor what they say in the email, or do they find some way to add 'extra' fees? Are the replies generally from a specific salesperson and did you have to go in to meet with them after?
    Has anyone tried coming by in person and trying to negotiate separately with one that offers the lowest price to see if you can do any better?
    Since there aren't nearly that many dealers in my area, I want to have a good strategy when approaching them.
    Any other suggestions?

PS When I went for a test drive earlier, the guy wouldn't go below msrp+200.. and suggested that I should get the two door Prius instead if i wanted to save money.. yes, two door Prius....

18. Fong

Fong Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    What is a fair price for 2014 prius c level 4 in yellow? How much did you guys pay OTD price?

19. belle shun

belle shun New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    One
    When it comes on buying a car, you need a source you can trust to guide you through the process. However, in a bid to keep from driving away customers and stave off any federal participation, car dealers are said to be reducing dealer insurance and dealer finance markup. The padding for their bottom line can be big but too much of a good thing, for them, might be costing them business.