1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible to re-zero range prediction?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by DS Justice, Jan 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DS Justice

DS Justice Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I filled up today with the range estimator indicating 8 km. It just barely took 36L even after a bit of topping up to make sure there wasn't foam in the neck. That's not a lot to put into a 45L tank.

Is the vehicle really supposed to have a 20% unmetered reserve? Is there any way to re-zero this so that I have a more realistic distance to empty? I'd prefer to make my own judgement of how close to empty is safe.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota vehicles have a 10 litre reserve so the low fuel light comes on near 35 litres and the DTE is around there (sounds about right judging by your 36 litre fill up).

I rely on my trip odometer to determine how much fuel is left. I've gone as far as 100km after the low fuel light and only put in 41 litres. (That's when the low fuel light came on at 823km and another at 850km)

DS Justice likes this.
  3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The problem IS that some people are not capable of doing that successfully.
    And ALL people are prone to make a mistake now and then.

I think the engineering is sound.

And I think that anybody who chronically runs their tank down below 1/4 is being foolish.