1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible to replace halogen headlights with LED?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by mediahound, Jan 19, 2014.

1. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Is it possible to replace my stock Prius 4 halogen headlight assemblies with the Prius package 5 stock LED headlight assemblies? Is the wiring the same or totally different? More trouble than it's worth perhaps?

2. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)Like most things, it's doable, but at what cost and effort? Just the factory LED assemblies are expensive. I've heard as much as $750 each new. I've seen them offered on eBay at $350 each used, with broken or repaired mounting tabs and without lights or ballast. I understand there is a difference in wiring harnesses, but that's a easy fix. Based on cost alone, I'd pass. Might be best to upgrade you factory bulbs to better quality and light output and live with what you have. I've always been fascinated with quality factory HID and now LED systems. I vowed to get the factory systems up front and not worry about trying to retrofit later. The Prius 5 (ATP) and the Prius Plug In Advance come with a nice list of options, at a cost. I like those options and I can justify the cost.

3. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks to both of you.

I think I'm going to stick with the stock halogen. Too much trouble for me to switch.

Using a better halogen bulb like one of the 'pure white xenon'...

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Why not go with HIDs rather than halogens?

5. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I had HIDs and liked the light output but not the so-called 'professional' installation that a shop did for me. And, I didn't think I could do any better in mounting the ballasts myself so I gave up.

I dislike the ballasts just hanging there or even attached to any panel via sticky adhesive. That stuff wears off in a few years and then you would have a ballast just rattling loose. And attaching it via wire ties also seems rinky dink.

Basically, there is no good place to mount them well in the Prius. That's my opinion anyways.

Rather than have to worry about it, I opted to keep things simple.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Several of us have done the H9 halogen bulb upgrade for more light. Using a quality German made Osram H9, there is a noticeable improvement over the Sylvania Silverstar zXe halogen bulbs that were in the Prius before doing the upgrade.

In short, more light. Cheaper bulbs than the so called premium H11 halogen bulbs. No worries about ballasts, etc.

SCH-I535

7. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I was thinking about this when my current H11 bulbs burn out. Is there a link to it?

Does it run hotter and potentially mess up your headlight assembly in any way?

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's only a 10w difference between the 55w H11 and 65w H9 bulbs, so negligible difference in heat that the space in the headlight housing can dissipate adequately.

Several threads discuss this mod on this site, and more if Google H11 H9 conversion. The minor modifications to the H9 bulb base and socket are easily done, especially if you have a Dremel type rotary tool with the appropriate grinding tips.

I've converted both of our cars over to the H9 bulbs.

SCH-I535

9. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Instead of shaving anything, would an adapter cable such as these work? Not sure if these are the right ones, but it would seem an adapter would be much easier if available:

Amazon.com: 2 X H8/H9/H11 Extension Adapter Wiring Harness Sockets Wire for Headlight: Home Improvement

10. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It could work, as long as the connectors are truly compatible between the different arrangements of the tabs inside the various connectors.

However, you will still need to reduce one tab on the H9 bulb base where it mounts into the back of the headlight housing. They don't make adapters for that. ;)

SCH-I535

11. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

12. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When that sticky tape wears off then you've got a loose ballast jangling around as you drive, unless he also mounted it more securely, didn't watch the entire thing,

13. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It's a tight space there and many ballasts have slots for attaching permanently with screws. You can screw through the plastic if you desire.

14. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Not worth the trouble then, at least not to me. I'll stick with the best h11 bulbs I can find.

15. GasperG

GasperG Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I noticed that H9 dosen't have a silver tip like H11. I think the silver tip is there for a reason.

16. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The silver tip is a glare cap because the bulb is spec'ed for use in reflector headlamps with no built-in bulb shield. In our projectors it's ok.

This upgrade produces a tremendous increase in light output, so make sure that your headlamps have not been aimed upwards if you are making this change.

The extra tab on the base of the bulb can be easily trimmed with just a small pair of dikes.

17. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Okay, so maybe I'll try this after all.

The mod seems fairly straightforward, especially if you can heat up a blade like this guy:

Are we certain there are no ill effects to the headlight housing or to the wiring at all? I want to be sure.

18. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There are no guarantees when you start to go outside the bounds of how the system was engineered, but logically, the difference of 10w is small and is highly unlikely to cause any trouble.

19. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The video didn't show the removal of a small portion of the largest of the 3 metal tabs at the base of the bulb. You need to remove about 1/8th inch from the left side of the tab.

Also, in the video, the guy clearly holds the glass portion of the bulbs with his fingers prior to removing the small tab in the connector. Don't touch the bulbs! The oils from your skin will create a hot spot on the glass that will cause the bulb to fail early. If you accidentally touch the bulbs, clean them with a soft cloth moistened with rubbing alcohol to get the oils off the bulb before installing them.