1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible to use RAV4 Key for '16 Prius Four?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by afriedma, Mar 20, 2017.

1. afriedma

afriedma Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm looking to replace a lost '16 Prius Four key fob, and I'd much prefer something less bulky. On eBay, I see several items such as, "OEM Toyota Rav4/Prius Key Fob Alarm Remote Transmitter HYQ12BDM H-CHIP R6". When I check vehicle compatibility with the eBay tool, it claims compatibility with the 2016 Prius Four.

Has anyone had experience obtaining and programming such a key? If so, I'd love to hear about it. I would so much prefer to carry around this little key instead of the giant fob.

2. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Check with a locksmith who does car FOBs.
    I believe some of the earlier Prii had actual keys with chips in them; not so anymore.

RCO likes this.
  3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The RAV4 key is probably compatible. I'm using a Prius Gen3 key with my wife's Lexus 200h for the same reason. The Lexus keyfob case is larger, while the circuit board inside it is exactly the same as the Prius keyfob. But the mechanical key is different.

If the eBay key is used, then you'll need a seed reset to register it. This is a dealer or locksmith job - you can't do it yourself.

RCO likes this.