1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possible to utilize 200V traction power?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by primuspaul, Apr 2, 2017.

1. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Can the 200V power be utilized to power big demand electronics? Can I power something like a dual voltage welding rig with it? I was thinking of running the engine to keep recharging the 200V battery as it needs power.

Just wondering if the safety plug in the trunk can be modified to output 200-240 volts. It's basically like a switch to disable ALL the HV power, so can that be done or am I risking burning some of the wires for drawing too much power from there?

01 02 03 TOYOTA PRIUS HYBRID BATTERY HIGH VOLTAGE PLUG FUSE CUT OFF SWITCH OEM | eBay

They call it a "switch" or "fuse" so this implies it must handle 100% of the power used to power the starter and electrical propulsion, which undoubtedly is quite demanding.

#1 primuspaul, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, it is possible, but difficult and safety has to be the watchword. i don't think it has been done before, but there is a company that sells inverters iirc, but not sure how they tap in. i think there's a thread here somewhere. might not be for gen 1 though.
    edit: check out 'converdant plug out kits'.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

anything is possible, but anything is not always feasible.

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You could but you'd want to figure out how to level the load. You've want some way to measure how much is being drawn out of the pack as well as how much is going in.

But why not just power it directly from the inverter.

To be honest though, it seems like there would be better, safer options out there.

5. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    With all the expensive computers onboard even a classic Prius, I wouldn't want to have anything to do with arcing of any sort. The downside is too large vs the usefulness of being able to weld. You can get a little Hobart mig or flux core welder for less than a grand, it's a better alternative. And, if you check & follow Craigslist, you can probably find a good dc arc welder for not too much money.e

I have a Hobart in my tool crib that I don't use too much, but it's pretty handy when needed. Bought it from a place that rented it out. It was $300 or so, 20 years ago.

01 02 03 TOYOTA PRIUS HYBRID BATTERY HIGH VOLTAGE PLUG FUSE CUT OFF SWITCH OEM | eBay

This is just the standard safety cut off. It's not a switch, just a removeable buss. If you have a Prius, you already have one of some sort.

#5 Brian in Tucson, Apr 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2017
  6. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I think I read that the amp output of the HV battery far exceeds what I've read about low-end retail welders under $1,000, but it would be nice if someone could find out the real number.

If the switch there is supposed to handle 100% of the energy, then wire thickness limits should also be fine.

The inverter probably does not have an easy exposed plug like the trunk battery switch, plus it will only produce power when the engine is on. The Prius will turn off the engine when it is warmed up and the HV is charged, which means it will shut off regardless of your use of the welder.

The 200V HV cell seems like a perfect match for a 120/240V generator given that power is unlikely to exceed 240V and unlikely to drop below 120V. The drop in energy will tell the computer to restart the engine when power is low so you will actually save on gas compared to a standard generator, which will always be on regardless of welder usage.

The only question is whether the welder can handle DC. The manual for it only says it uses 120/240V. No mention of AC or DC where input power is concerned.

I suspect the power usage will not affect the car electronics since the electronics are on the 12V system, not the HV system. They probably just share a ground and nothing more.

7. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Maybe not such a good idea after all:

Using a Prius as a generator — northernarizona-windandsun

Looks like there are voltage drops when the engine starts and then a huge surge to 300V. I doubt most 240V electronics will reliably handle that. Certainly not without a voltage regulator between the car and the device. And at that point you may as well get a generator.

8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm pretty sure that, if you connect an AC powered welder to DC power, you'll get a loud bang a blown fuse in the DC circuit, and maybe a smoked welder power supply. The direct current will see the transformer as a dead short. You'll need to feed the battery into an inverter to convert it to AC for the AC powered welder to work.

9. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Some units accept both dc and ac. Their manual does not specify it either way so I asked them.

Regardless, it probably won't work due to the fluctuating voltage apparently seen by the HV system.

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    oh well, another good idea down the tubes...

11. Currahee

Currahee Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
  12. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I