1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Possibly buying a new car in 2017. Need advice.

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by bauhaus, Dec 27, 2016.

1. bauhaus

bauhaus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never owned a hybrid before.

What's the maximum range in kilometres I should normally expect with city driving in a Prius with just one full tank on standard petrol (gasoline) which is 91 RON. We also have 95 RON and 98 RON. I'm in Australia, so we talk in terms of litres for fuel used per 100 kilometres of distance (i.e. litres / 100 kilometres).

I saw in a review that the Corolla Hybrid can theoretically go up to 1100 kilometres, with a 45 litre fuel tank. How would a Prius compare to this? I've read the Corolla Hybrid needs premium fuel. The basic Prius here costs around $40,000 Australian, so the Prius i-Tech would be too expensive for me I think (although I guess my situation could change).

Thanks.

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome.

Most of the users here are from the US, but I know we have some Aussies here too. Perhaps @alanclarkeau can assist.
    I have pinged him so he is aware of this thread. He has a 2016 Prius, I believe. The 2017 should be pretty much identical. In the US, they added more safety features as standard on the 2017.

#2 Prodigyplace, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    RCO likes this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi - from near Brisbane. The PRIUS Gen 4 will give better economy than Corolla Hybrid which is based on the older PRIUS Gen 3. I do more Highway driving than city, so I'm not sure what you'd get with mostly city driving. Mine has given 4.0l/100km over 8500km. I generally need to fill up after about 950-1000km, though I don't like it to run dry. I test-drove the Corolla Hybrid and PRIUS the same day, and preferred the PRIUS. Corolla is substantially cheaper, but is also smaller and doesn't have a lot of features PRIUS has like RADAR Cruise, Lane departure warning. But I suspect Corolla seats were better - check it out and see which you prefer.

Yes, I agree i-Tech is a ridiculous price, the base model is $39557 drive-away in Melbourne - whether you can drive a bargain at end of Financial Year, I'm not sure. TOYOTA in Australia hasn't announced any changes for 2017, which is fairly normal for Australia - we don't have the annual model cycle like USA - my guess is there's possibly not going to be any changes at all till next upgrade in a year or 2.

There is another Aussie in Melbourne with a blue Gen 4 - Thomas Grubb - he may be able to advise re Melbourne driving.

bauhaus and RCO like this.
  4. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    RCO likes this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You mean @Thomas Grubb ? You can use the "@" sign to tag somebody to look at a thread like I just did for you & now for Thomas. When you start typing their username, a selection menu appears.

#6 Prodigyplace, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016
    RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  7. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahhh - no, didn't know that. Yes, that's him - he's going to contact the OP.

No, PRIME apparently is unlikely to come here according to something I read a while back - at least not initially. We never got the PLUG-IN PRIUS either. At this stage, TOYOTA has only released Corolla Hybrid, PRIUS C, PRIUS V and PRIUS. [RAVE4, Highlander or the new C-HR don't come in HYBRID here.]

RCO and Prodigyplace like this.
  8. bauhaus

bauhaus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I have seen that website. Thanks.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  9. bauhaus

bauhaus Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's very interesting. 950-1000km before filling up! That puts my current car to shame.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And that's with a 43 litres tank (low fuel light comes on around the 35 litre mark so if you push it, you may be able to exceed 1,000km)

alanclarkeau and bauhaus like this.
  11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I might add that my record tank is 955km in my Gen 3 and used about 40 litres - That works out to 4.19L/100km. That was achieved in the summer of course. I typically run 700-800km on a tank (35 litres... I run more conservatively in the winter)

bauhaus likes this.