1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Post Engine Coolant Change - Cannister Pump?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sreese01, Aug 10, 2015.

1. sreese01

sreese01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hello,

About a week ago I successfully changed my engine's coolant, but I've noticed as of late that the pump I normally hear running at turn off and on hasn't been making noise. I have no engine lights on and I assume if I had left it unplugged the system would have notified me? Thoughts?

Edit:
    1. Clarification - the canister I have in mind is the one that stores engine coolant to keep it warm.
    2. The coolant change otherwise has been successful and I've driven 700+ miles without any other problem.
    3. The coolant reservoir (a different component) is working fine.

Edit:

CHRS W/P (Coolant heat recovery water pump).
    This is what I had in mind originally!

#1 sreese01, Aug 10, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. do you mean the brake accumulator when you open the drivers door?

as a test, have you turned the heat on to make sure there's no air in the coolant?

3. sreese01

sreese01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm regarding the canister that keeps the coolant warm. Normally at startup and shut down I was hearing a pump run to fill it. And I successfully burped the car as I've driven about 700 miles without the car overheating.

4. ILuvMyPriusToo

ILuvMyPriusToo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is supposed to be difficult to get all the air out after you drain and refill the coolant. (I haven't done it yet). Did the level drop and get topped off after you had done that driving?

5. sreese01

sreese01 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As I said, coolant change was successful and I have driven 700+ miles without an overheating or reservoir problem. The canister that keeps it warm and the pump that fills / unfills it hasn't been running. I do not have a check engine light on.