1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Post ICE coolant change - advice needed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by bugaboo416, Nov 1, 2019.

1. bugaboo416

bugaboo416 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I replaced my ICE coolant about a week ago. I used a multimeter to jump the CHRS pump. I got it to 4.20 .
    I tried putting the prius in maintenance mode and bleeding the radiator but after 1/2 hour, nothing ever came out. I repeated this the next day and got my multimeter down to 4.16 but still nothing from opening the radiator bleeder valve and running the prius on maintenance mode. I get great heat when I run the AC on Hi. I have coolant in the reservoir level right between Low and Full.

What I do every morning is check for leaks (none found in a week's time) and add coolant to the top of the radiator cap before driving the car (~20 miles each day total) I usually add about an inch of coolant each day. This has gone on for 5 days so far.

My question is: If I continue doing this each day, will it get to the point where the radiator cap will stay full after another week or two of this routine or should I retry the pump/radiator bleed combo?

2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just keep checking the radiator cap and top up as needed;).

If you have an idea of what you drained out, you’ll now have your target of what to refill to:).

Once close to that, you’ll know your close or done(y).

SFO likes this.
  3. bugaboo416

bugaboo416 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Ray. I needed that affirmation that I'm doing right by the car, esp. with my first coolant change.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    All good. Don’t be afraid to fill the reservoir to the full level.

Raytheeagle likes this.